Morning References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took and passed the exam in April, Civil Breadth, Transportation Depth

As I recall, I utilized the following to get ready for the morning section:

CERM 12 & CERM 13

I utilized Michael Lindburg’s Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam as my main resource. There were some major source changes between 12 and 13 but I found that most instances where I was referencing a table to gather a number were from my more specialized source books. I believe the only additional section to the CERM 13 was a part about Painting Highway Bridges—so if you’re not taking the Transportation depth section of the PE exam, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I started studying with the CERM 12, which I purchased in Fall 2012—when I had good intentions to study all winter. I did study on and off, but ended up taking a review course in which the CERM 13 was included as a course material. I found this to be an excellent reference and am happy to have it in my professional library. Online, you can print a copy of the index—not having to flip through a 4” thick book saves more time than you can imagine.

Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CEPP13)

PE Civil: Transportation Sample Questions and Solutions (NCEES)

Quick Reference for the Civil Engineering PE Exam (CEQR7)

Civil PE Sample Examination (CE SX4)

I reviewed the rest of them here:

http://www.raggerreviews.com/pe-exam/pe-exam-prep/

It seems to me, that once one obtains CERM Edition n, they no longer need n-1.

Agreed... they probably don't need n+1 either... nothing changes enough to make it worth it. I got CERM 12 to study... then later enrolled in a review course, which, unbeknownst to me included CERM 13. Believe me... I tried to not take CERM 13 and get some money back from the course (it didn't say anything about materials on the website I signed up on)... they offered to give me $60 for it... so I just kept it and studied from it instead.

I have CERM 10, and I just really don't think it is worth purchasing 13

Books edition makes a very minimum impact.......Engineering formulas and concept has not changed in centuries so no matter what book edition you use the principles of engineering are the same...... :)

Books edition makes a very minimum impact.......Engineering formulas and concept has not changed in centuries so no matter what book edition you use the principles of engineering are the same...... :)

This might be true for Geo and Water but not so much for Trans, Cons and Struct that rely on current codes which are being updated all the time. While I think most of us would still be able to pass just fine with older editions, I still think it's good practice to acquire the latest editions of your references.

Not only are codes changing, but the test itself has changed over the years as well. When I began studying there was no 'construction' section, and I was planning on using CERM 7 (which didn't have a construction section). But once I found out there was a construction section, I decided to buy the CERM 11, which was the most recent edition at that time.

Back