Salary in a new location

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom PE

Polish Quota Member
Reaction score
I am looking at moving from working for a state DOT to a private firm. I am moving from a more rural area to a city. I used Salary.com to try to figure out what kind of salary would be reasonable to ask for when moving to the city, and I'm getting median numbers that are $10-15k higher than what I am making now. Does this seem unrealistic?

At the state DOT we are tied to a pay scale. Managers pay was frozen for several years, and their scales haven't caught up with the union covered scales. So I figure I am around $1.10 an hour behind where I should be. Plus, a one time bonus and no raise for getting my P.E. I have an interview set up this coming week with the new firm I'm hoping to work for and I don't want to get laughed out of the room if I come to them with an absurd request for salary. I have one year of construction management experience and 5 years of transportation experience with the last 7 months being in a supervisory position.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Neotiations 101, never be the 1st to mention a salary number. If they ask you point blank, answer with a question like, "What is the salary range for this position?". Turn it around on them. Once they tell you the range you are in a better position. Do not under price yourself. You get paid by how well you negotiate. Good Luck!

Go to one of the web moving cost calculators and play with some numbers. If you think that you should be making $XX/hour or year, put that number in. and see what the moving calculator spits out. If you think you are $1.10/hour low, I would ADD $1.85/hour to the mix and see what happens.

I agree with Ivory-- NEVER be the first to mention salary. IF the question comes up with something like, "Well, what kind of salary are you expecting from this position?", the command answer is something like, "I am sure that the XYZ company pays their employees in a fair and equitable fashion. What is the salary range for a position of this nature?" Now, you should have some idea of where you need to be, without going in totally blind. You need to finesse the words here a little, however, you can do that.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say that the state pays 18% less than private industry. DO NOT believe that is the case, it may or may NOT be the case. There are a lot of state workers that are doing much better than private industry-- be well aware of this when you walk in the door. I would probably think, in the back of my mind, that the number you are wanting is about 20% higher than you are making now.

So, for example, if you are making $70K now, then, in the back of your mind, you should be thinking that an offer around $ 85K would be about where you need to be. Now, they might offer $83K and provide a car, company cell phone, 5 weeks vacation, PE license dues and professional society dues paid--. Think about the whole package before you say no.

Studies are showing that money is about the 5th factor in a deal. Job challenge and satisfaction being 1 and 2. If you are making great money, but hate the job, the people, the location, the environment, let me assure you that 18% less will seem like heaven.

NSPE has some salary data-- look at it. Your industry also has some data, see if you can find it as well before you go.

Not knowing any more than the post that you made, I think that my numbers are probably pretty close to real?????? May be off, if so, go higher. However, if you have 6 years experience, I suspect that I am close.

Recall that lots of folks do NOT get a raise for the PE-- Lots do, however, Lots do not. Now, should you? Another discussion!

The Cost of living calculator on the web is going to get you close. Remember, if money is not where you want or need, try something else-- work at home 2 days a week, company paid car, 4 10 hour days-- there are a lot of options that you can counter with that will bring you satisfaction that is not pure salary. See if they will pay for professional society conference attendance, flying business class over 6 hours-- the options are unlimited-- you just have to ask.

Let us know what happens-- Good Luck!

Thanks for all the advice! I never thought about turning it around in the manner you both suggested, I will definitely keep that in mind. I think a key thing is to remember is to look at the whole benefit package. I think I will come up with my ideas of vacation time and salary with this info.

Well, I am currently making around $60k per year, but in this part of the state I don't think it is too bad. Does that seem bad for someone with 6 years experience?

Here is one of those calculators for comparing salaries in two cities from CNN Money: http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

I agree with SolomonB, make sure you consider everything. I know that my offers coming out of college, the private looked like more on paper, but when you got into the numbers, the DOT was actually a better offer. The gov't covered benefits, retirement, etc. With the private firm, I have to take a good percentage out of every pay check just to put away so that I can attempt retirement someday, and then the benefits is more out of every paycheck too. I went the private route, and I know that I'm making more now than I would be if I was at the DOT since graduation, but at first the two were pretty close.

With the other salary references, I tend to find them to be a little high, but it's hard to say. Probably depends on the company, location, and the economy still doesnt appear to be back to normal.... or it might just be me. I wish I would have been a better negotiator in the beginning. Good luck with it all, keep us posted!

For future readers, i will add my 2cts. I dont believe any state DOT retirement system will be safe from future cuts once we the people truly understand how broke the nation has become. If you go to private practice, an old rule of thumb is to divide your billing rate by 3+-.5.

If you go to private practice, an old rule of thumb is to divide your billing rate by 3+-.5.

I've always wondered about this, and how it helps you and your salary? I guess in other words, how do you get your billing rate, and wouldnt the company just take what they want to pay you, use the multiplier, and that would be your billing rate. It seems to me like they can play with that how they want to their advantage. If they can bill out a lower rate, you get that rate divided by 3, and the cost to do the job looks good to the client.

For future readers, i will add my 2cts. I dont believe any state DOT retirement system will be safe from future cuts once we the people truly understand how broke the nation has become. If you go to private practice, an old rule of thumb is to divide your billing rate by 3+-.5.

We shall soon see Detroit's pension value. It may be an awaking to the rest (I hope) when they get 20cents on the dollar. Being $16.7 trillion in debt and printing money to pay the interest, it will be just a matter of time before the evil of inflation kick's in and many more people will be concerned about their retirements being worthless.

Had the phone interview last week. Everything went well! They want to see me for an in-person interview. Sounds like my varied experience is appealing to them. I've been looking for over a year now off and on, here's hoping that this is finally the right move!

Great! We are excited to hear what they tell you! Good Luck on the adventure!

Phantom ... what part of the state?

Central or Eastern I can probably help you out since I work with most of the transportation firms around here.

I'm looking to move to Pittsburgh actually from the north central part of the state. I would think pay would be probably a little higher than Harrisburg, but maybe a little lower than Philly?

Pittsburgh is tough; definitely less than Philly. It will really depend on the Company and what they do. If they are involved in WV, OH and PA gas work, the pay will most likely be higher. If mostly heavy highway the pay will be about Harrisburg's; if a small company doing mostly signal warrant and LD work probably lower than Harrisburg.

Success! Congratulations on your new job! I hope that our ideas helped you solidify your thinking! Good Luck!

Back