October 2013 Test Takers & Which Afternoon?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAPE/SMOTT PE

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Just curious as to who all is taking the test this fall, and which afternoon module are you planning to take?

I was going to take the test last April, but due to starting work with a new company, I decided to wait until October. I'm planning to take the Mechanical Systems and Materials afternoon module.

TFS... Started in July so hopefully it should be enough. Looks like I would have to revise one more time as there is way too much to know and have on your tips. I guess I would get comfortable with the problems once I started the tests.

How are you guys finding hte LIndeburg practice problems? I am finding quite a few very tricky ones or ones that take really long. On average, I would say I am getting around 65-75% of them right.

I agree that the Lindeburg problems are lengthy. From my understanding they are that way in order to cover everything you need to know, but on the exam you may only need to do one "step". This is of course hearsay as I have not taken the exam yet.

You are kind of right :)

The problems in the Lindeburg book are harder and more lengthy than on the test but you still need to do all the steps required to get the final answer but they will give you more information at the start than in the Lindeburg book.

Actually I had a hard time making up my mind, since what I do overlaps with both. I went with TFS because my colleagues recommended that and told me that TFS is easier. Maybe its perhaps because pple are more inclined towards TFS subjects than mechanical systems!

Maybe so, and I've heard similar. Yet I was strongest in the mechanical systems subjects in college. Even now going through the fluids section of MERM I'm having a harder time than I had hoped.

Yeah.. go with your strengths.. for what I have seen, you pretty much need to know everything! its only a matter of which questions woudl you rather have more of. A friend of mine got mechanical systems questions in his TFS afternoon , so we never know!

You are kind of right :) The problems in the Lindeburg book are harder and more lengthy than on the test but you still need to do all the steps required to get the final answer but they will give you more information at the start than in the Lindeburg book.

I'm finding the same thing as I work my way through the Lindeburg practice problems. This is what I read and hope it holds true.

Though I haven't sat to take it yet, I glanced at the NCEES 2011 TFS practice exam. Maybe it was just the questions I looked at on the random page I flipped to, but the the questions looked much much easier. If the NCEES sample is closer to the real thing, then Lindeburg truly over prepares you for the exam.

-John

yeah.. but its better to be over prepared than under as the exams also vary. A few of my friends found it really easy and a few of them found it hard. so you never know. good luck with the prep everyone! My friend studied for 2 to 3 hours a day for a little less than 2 months and passed so if we stick it out in these couple of months we shall all pass hopefully

SMott, would you be interested in talking over some of the practice problems and talking about prep strategies in general?

Sure, that would be great. Right now I've been trying to figure out if its worth spending as much time as I am on the fluids/thermo/HT stuff. I'm almost tempted to just spend more time focusing on the mechanical systems sections (statics/dynamics/materials/machine design/vibrations/etc.) I'm just feeling really bogged down with the fluids/thermo/and related stuff. I'm just worried one of those subjects is going to "get me" on the exam, and would hate to fail it because I didn't put enough effort into studying it.

Smott, am in houston too. yeah.. I am also going through the "how much is too much and how much is too little". I am planning on doing the practice problems for as many of the major sections as I can so atleast I have a good grasp on the theory. I started off with TFS sections (which I am on now) will finish those and then do the systems sections. I will revise the TFS sections towards the end as systems would stay fresh. so that way I am fresh on the sections that "should" appear the most in my exam and would have recently done the "other" sections. atleast thats the plan

I'm at about 2 hours on weekdays and 5 hours each day on weekends. I will most likely have to up my study hours though, as my weak subjects are taking me a lot more effort than I had originally thought.

I was trying to read the chapters, then work problems; and now I'm just glancing to get the gist of the chapters, and going straight to the problems. When working problems I'm noting the equations I use and which page they came from out to the side.

Back