PE Experience requirements in NJ

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sulliv32

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about the experience required for the NJ PE. I graduated college in May of 2010 and passed the FE in April 2010. I started work in June 2010. According to the application requirements it says experience must be up to the time of the application and not future experience. So does that mean I have to wait until the April 2015 exam date since the application deadline for the October 2014 exam is in April 2014 and I would be 2 Months short of experience at the time of application? There is a documents deadline of June 2014 so would that be when I could submit the experience list or is that needed with the application?

do you have any interning experience? or any other part time work that you can include?

I was in a very simliar situation as yourself. When I added up all of my time including all intern, part time, and full time experience it came to a month or two short of the four years (at the time of application). I emailed the state board to get a clarification and never recieved a response. I eventually just opted to wait until the next exam cycle.

the application stipulates that they want to see the quality of work experienced gained which leads me to believe if you have over four years they may deny you depending upon the experience. My thought on that is whats the difference if it is less but you have a great amount of quality experience?

Anyways, if you want to roll the dice and pay the 70 bucks for the applicaiton fee then go for it.

Otherwise you can wait and get over 4 years and get yourself ready with books and review classes. etc.

Good Luck!

That is correct. Experience must be obtained prior to submitting your application, so by the time you take the test you'll have another 6 months experience, and by the time you get your results you'll have at least 8 months more experience than it says is required.

I waited 21 years to take the PE exam because for the first 17 years I did not work with any PE's to get the necessary experience.

6 months is a baseball season... In the grand scheme of your career, six months won't make a difference!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back