PE Civil Fail Scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anand1

Reaction score
People please put down your failing score with your discipline, this way we can figure the cut score out.

figuring out a cut score is ridiculous. Aim to get all of them correct and there is no need to worry over a cut score.... btw 42/80 Civil/WR&E

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard anywhere between 52 and 60?

:deadhorse: This one's been beat to death on this board since its inception. Bottom line - nobody knows except ncees and they aren't telling. Anyone who says they know is lying. Review class instructors who say you have to obtain a certain score don't know any better than anyone on here. But do a search on this forum. We engineers come up with some pretty wacky theories!

I really don't understand why people would want to know the cut score... If you're score was in the mid to high 60% you can reasonably assume you were close, and if you were lower you know you weren't all that close. Even if you could find out for sure that you were one question away from passing, I'm assuming either way you're going to study more for the next exam so what's the point in trying to figure out the cut score?

Also, as many people have stated on this board, if you study trying to get just enough questions right for a passing score,I'd be willing to bet you're going to fail. Aim to try to ace the test, and I'm willing to bet you'll pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with S28. I failed 54/80 with 68%. I passed this April exam. Don't want to know what my score is. Just relieved that I PASSED.

I failed twice before. I studied only to get just enough questions right for a passing socre, hope that I can swing it. anwer is "NO"

PE exam is not a rocket science and not that difficult BUT you have to study deligently to pass it. You have to prepare well for the exam. YOU CAN'T JUST SWING it!!!

agreed with the responses above, Congrats on passing this time aamy..... Don't worry about figuring the cut score, if you failed print out your diagnostic report and forcus on the areas that you didn't do well on. My first time I dodn't do so well, 46/80. I focused on the areas I didn't do well with and was more prepared the second go around also because I knew what to expect from the whole thing.

civil/structural 52/80 failed with 69%.

That would be 65%...

Perhaps you should brush up on math for the next go-around.
Interesting, they may have thrown some questions out.

"Someguy" is probably from one of the few states where you get your scaled score if you fail. If so, I think he's saying the 52/80 raw score equated to a 60 scaled score (which is not a percentage). So for the civil/structural exam he took, a 52/80 was pretty close to passing if he go a 69 scaled score and you need 70 to pass.

civil/structural 52/80 failed with 69%.

That would be 65%...

Perhaps you should brush up on math for the next go-around.
Thanks for the advice! Its great to see contributions like yours made on a forum, which is intended to provide help and support to examinees, that are as useful as a bucket without a bottom.

As "Mike in Gastonia" explained some states, such as Texas, report your final score in terms of a percentage and not the number of correctly answered questions. The diagnostic from NCEES on the other hand provides the number of correctly answered questions but not a score. So, as I have seen several others do, I reported the diagnostics results and the final score provided to me. Next time, I'll be sure to clarify.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Back