What should be the Sequence?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyEngineer

Reaction score
I have got MS, PE, PEng, and PMP...just wondeing in what sequence I should put these designations infront of my my name. I am leaning towards what I have written before.

I would only list them as necessary. The MS can come across as pretentious, but I've seen it typically listed first. I would only use the PE/Peng depending on the client or project. If you're working on a roadway project in Texas, you're PEng doesnt really mean much and should be left off. The PMP is also "as needed" because its only a project/position specific.

There's a fine line between listing your certifications and just listing an alphabet soup. It's ok to have multiple business cards and multiple email signatures.

The only academic letters to put behind your name is a doctorate IMO. I once knew a buy that listed his name as:

John Doe, B.A., M.A., D.D.

Must of us would laugh at him behind his back at this.

I would put PE or PE/PEng (if you do enough buisness in Canada) on a card or business correspondence. Maybe PMP if you really do a lot project managing but I've never seen anyone do that really.

Most everyone laughs at people who put more than one designation on there business card to be honest.....

I agree with sticking to one designation as noted above. Use either P.E. or Peng depending on the project or who you are marketing. If you have a LEED credential most persons will go ahead and add that onto the end to for marketing reasons. That is probably the only second one I would list, or equal, if you have it. Save the other designations for your resume (under credentials - not following your name).

Back