Passing the PE Construction

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared109

Reaction score
I found out on Thursday that I passed the PE Construction depth on my first try. My Dad is also a PE and it's been a goal of mine since High School that someday I would follow in his footsteps. My twin brother also passed his first try as well, so these last couple of days have been pretty exciting for the family.

Although I've visited this site countless times during the last five months, this is my first post. I want to thank everyone who has contributed their advice, without their help I would have walked into the test almost clueless. Posts by JaymanPE and others were extremely helpful in sorting out which books to stay away from and the overall process of how to balance your time studying.

The main reason I decided to write this post was to encourage those who failed and also those who are gearing up to take the test for the first time. I'm not going to layout a scientific analysis on how to study, my point is to explain my scenario and why I think the test is passable for everyone.

Firstly, I'm by no means super smart. I struggled throughout college to get C's and enough B's to balance out the long list of D's I got. It's not at all to do with a lack of effort, trust me. It's more likely to do with the fact that I was in a tough major and I am of more or less average intelligence. Therefore, I had to put in a lot of effort to just get by.

Secondly, My brother and I started studying after new year's which gave us a little more than 3 months. At first we spent too much time reading through chapters of the CERM which was not really worth it. Like what most people say we studied almost every day for +/- 3 hours. This didn't always go over well with the wife but I kept telling her it was necessary. There was also times at work that weren't busy which I used to create and organize the binders. I would say half of the time I spent was dedicated to copying problems and solutions, cutting/pasting, hole punching, and tabbing my binders. The other half was spent doing problem after problem. I should also point out that taking the test in April works pretty good for people living in the North. From January until April there's not much you can do but stay inside so all those hours studying didn't feel like we were missing anything.

Lastly, Going into the test my brother and I both thought that we we're ready and that if we failed it was not due to a lack of effort. During the week before the test we did practice NCEES exams and methodically updated and organized our binders full of problems so we knew exactly where everything was. The binders were a big help during the test and there's no way just having the CERM I would have passed.

After the test we both thought we had a good chance at passing and overall we were happy with the effort we put in. Now we're just waiting for our licenses and relieved we don't need to go through this again. Thanks to everyone contributing to this site...I owe you big time.

Jared

I'm glad that you passed!! Congrats!! Today I also found out I passed the FE on my THIRD FREAKING TRY!!!

Would you please consider telling me what to study, what to buy or any other general tips that you'd have for the future PE takers??

Thanks =)

Congratulations.

could you please advise , which books you have studied to pass. and what topics are included in the binders you made.

appreciate your help.

Yousef Issa

[SIZE=medium]I just found out that I passed the PE Exam on the first try in Hawaii. I chose the Civil Construction module because I work as a construction manager for NAVFAC. I will state up front that there is definitely still a lack of quality prep material for this module.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Study Plan: I started studying around August 10th (2.5 months early). I am married and have a 3 y/o son, so we agreed on a schedule to make sure I still had time for family. Mon-Thu (8pm-10pm), Fri-Sat (off), Sunday (2pm-8pm)...of course there were exceptions, but I'd say I put in about 120 hours total. I took a 12 session (2 hour per) ASCE online prep course covering all of the basics from every discipline...this 6 week review was a good refresher for me since it had been 9 years since I graduated. The night after each online session I would review that topic and do sample problems. I completed the prep course near the end of September and at that point I went through every reference that I planned to use during the exam and "color code tabbed" relevant sections by discipline. This was especially helpful in familiarizing myself with my references. From that point on I focused on the construction discipline during the weeknights and I took a practice test every weekend. I only bought 2 references (other than the ASCE materials) and I borrowed the rest from coworkers that had taken the exam 5-10 years ago.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]My general references were:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1. CERM (10th Ed.)...be familiar with it if you plan to use it...also be familiar with code changes if you use an old reference[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2. Binder of ASCE Materials[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3. Binder of completed practice problems[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4. PPI Practice Problems[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5. PPI 6-Minute Solutions (Water, Structural, Trans, Geo)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]My construction references were:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]6. Rajapakse (5th Ed.)...HORRIBLE, DO NOT BUY![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7. NCEES Sample Questions and Solutions: Civil Construction[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]8. OSHA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]9. MUTCD pt 6[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]10. AISC (9th Ed.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Post Exam Analysis: I came out of the morning session feeling like I aced it. I left the afternoon session feeling about 50-50 that I did enough to pass...the afternoon was tough and I felt like there were several problems that would have been easy if I had a good construction reference. Rajapakse's book isn't worth the paper it's printed on...my coworker had the PPI Civil Construction reference and he said he felt like it had almost everything he need in the afternoon, so I would go that way if you are buying your own references. I used all of the construction references above, but the wood construction reference and the ACI 347-04 that NCEES recommends would have been nice to have. Thankfully I did well enough on the afternoon to pass, but if I had to retake the first thing I would do is find a better reference for the afternoon session.[/SIZE]

Here's my input. I passed the civil construction exam first try.

I found the CERM and the "useful formulas for the HP 33s/35s" very helpful. The former for the areas not covered in the useful equations book and the latter for anything that was similar. It took some effort - a couple hours a night for several nights - to enter all of the equations, but not having to question if I made a math error entering the formulas during the exam was a great relief. I also relied on my school of PE notes. I only opened my other reference materials (codes and standards) a couple of times AFTER I had finished the exam, as I knew delving into those was going to take a bit longer.

I didn't even watch the geotechnical or structural videos from school of pe, due to time constraints. I knew that anything structural I could probably fumble through and anything geotechnical if not very similar to the useful equations I would probably just throw in the towel in - I was pretty weak in geotech in school and I definitely didn't improve over the last 7 years.

As part of my preparations I also purchased the civil construction and structural NCEES practice exams. I thought they were very much on par with the real thing, and I also had them with me in case I hit a similar enough problem. I worked both before I even started studying as a diagnostic and to help choose which depth to take. I only reworked the construction a couple of times before the exam as I didn't want to get in memorization mode. Just before the exam I went through and wrote reference locations to the CERM or useful equations books so that I could use it as a jump to where I needed to be.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you all next time.

Also, I put off taking the exam to start with - I have 7 years experience. Most recently I've been doing heavy civil and I don't think I would have passed without that experience. At the least, I would have had a much harder time to prepare.

Also, I finished the morning in 2 hours, and went back over looking up references for EVERY problem and re-reading questions to make sure I didn't have a cognitive error. Walked out of the room about an hour early.

Afternoon I finished 45 minutes early and did the same - but stayed until the end.

Back