Diagnostic EE Power

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EEpowerOK

Reaction score
I did not pass my first try and got a diagnostic report. Thought it was interesting to see the average passing results on each knowledge area.

Anyone have any insight in the comprehending this report?

What was your total out of 80?

I too failed, it was my first try. I was at 51/80 questions. PE power, NYC.

I just passed the Power exam, but I would have loved to see a diagnostic report as well. I don't understand why they aren't included with all of the exams.

I do remember seeing a guide on how to read those on the NCEES site somewhere.

I got 50/80, Power NY. Trying to understand the bar graph is difficult. For example the knowledge areas that I scored above 80% barely go passed the "average of passing examinees" but for the other areas that I got 50%-66% the bar goes ALL the way to the left. So i read this as if I got 80%, 90% and even 100% in the area so did EVERYONE else, hard to believe.

How did you come up with the 70% criteria? Anyone interested in comparing their diagnostic report to try to figure out the percentages send me an email.

jflyer60 at hotmail.

Just passed power..sorry for those who didnt....the diagnostic reports I have seen are pretty straigh forward...rotating machines...study all rotating machines..not just one type...this means ac/dc machines, generators, etc......

Glad I passed the power exam, and hopefully all of you who didn't will pass next time and not give up. A friend of mine got 53/80 correct and failed. But looking at his diagnosis report, what I noticed was the "relatively high" average of those who passed. In some areas, 8/10 was topped by the average, which leads me to believe that the standard was set high for passing by the exam takers this April "as evident by the average in each area".

Hey, I failed with a 51. Found out Thursday I'm getting over it. This forum helped tremendously.

How do we move forward? When will you start studying again? How shall we approach the exam this time? I'm sure we've all made the standard notions (CI, Spin-Up, NCEES, Wildi Book, and etc). What can we do differently?

My weakness was rotating machines and special applications. What advice do you have? Thank you all.

sumelahmed:

I don't think anyone in your situation, who came close should change their routine, references, etc because you did most things right. That will create a lot of confusion, so maybe add a wrinkle here and there. On the other hand, your state of mind shouldn't be that you came close, and you need 3-6 question in an area of weakness. Rather, it should be that you missed too many, which mean that there are still room for improvement in many areas. You mentioned that you had Wildi book, and this is a great one for rotating machines, so just put more focus on it this time (I spend 3 weeks on this because its 20% of exam). As for special application, I mainly relied on notes that I collected about the topics outlined in the exam spec from different online sources. I suggest that you start studying in two weeks.

Best of Luck

On the passing criteria, if you get 56/80 (70%) will the tester pass regardless?

Hey, I failed with a 51. Found out Thursday I'm getting over it. This forum helped tremendously.

How do we move forward? When will you start studying again? How shall we approach the exam this time? I'm sure we've all made the standard notions (CI, Spin-Up, NCEES, Wildi Book, and etc). What can we do differently?

My weakness was rotating machines and special applications. What advice do you have? Thank you all.
Hey, sorry you didnt pass...Rotating machines were the easiest part of the exam IMO...but I can see it being difficult if youhavent gotten good references...If you could somehow get the GaTech notes on Rotating Machinery then you should blast it...I am pretty sure they were like 10-13 questions on this and I probably got them all correct as a result...I also had other references other than GaTech....ALso had the EPRM book which was helpfor for rotating machinery

I got 46/80 EE in power CA but when i looked at the diagnostic report the average scores are pretty high. I scored 8/10 in machinery but the average bar still shows high. I dont understand how they come up with the average score.

My weakness was Power System analysis and Special Applications. Can anyone please tell me the best references for these areas ?

Thanks

I got 46/80 EE in power CA but when i looked at the diagnostic report the average scores are pretty high. I scored 8/10 in machinery but the average bar still shows high. I dont understand how they come up with the average score.

My weakness was Power System analysis and Special Applications. Can anyone please tell me the best references for these areas ?

Thanks
There are notes on the sample one on the ncees website. Is this note at the bottom of yours?

The last column represents your performance in a knowledge area compared to the average performance of all passing examinees.For each knowledge area, the portion of the bar between your performance (solid line) and the average performance of the passing examinees (dashed line) indicates the relative difference between your performance and the performance average of the examinees who passed.

The way I read that is they take all the people that passed your exam and average how many they got right in each area. So if you score 8/10 in machinery and are still low, I guess that means everyone that passed got more than 8/10 in machinery.

^^^Based on I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

Rumors, myths, urban legends and innuendo.......

There are other threads on this site where it was said that "back in the day" when ncees released scores, it was a scale score and 70 was the passing score. It wasn't a percentage and they set the raw passing score for each discipline equal to 70 so you could compare apples to apples. Sort of. The way I understood it was so if the electrical power exam for example, had a passing raw score of 59/80 (set to 70) and a civil geotech exam had a raw passing score of 49/80 (set to 70), you could compare results.

Back