For those of you with your PE:

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarjamman

Reaction score
How often do you use it?

And secondly, do you remember the first thing you stamped?

It seems all my previous and current co-workers remember their first plan they approved or first form they stamped. What was yours if you remember?

I tend to use my stamp weekly at a minimum for a variety of reports or other official documents. First thing I ever stamped was a utilidor project for one of the local military bases. Good times.

Never stamped anything, not planning on it. Got the PE for the panache. I deal with a lot of architects and self-called "engineers", and having the PE helps with credibility.

first thing I used it for was to get a permit for a parking lot. very sexy stuff. I still have that set of plans somewhere..

but in transportation I dont use it every day like a general civil person might..

Used it for the credentials for some expert witness stuff, although I've never stamped anything official.

I did stamp a few of my books on my desk so people would stop stealing them...

I did stamp a few of my books on my desk so people would stop stealing them...
Me too!
I havent used mine officially jet since i work for a general contractor. We subcontract consulting engineers to do the design or let the design build subs do all the engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess that I should add that the first time I used my SE stamp was for a seismic report on an existing building where the client wanted to change the roof mounted satellite dish from 10m to 11m. I tend to use the SE stamp more than my PE stamp these days.

I just want to add that it all feels really cool until you get that first frivolous lawsuit with your name on it.. then it looses its luster...

How often do you use it?

It seems all my previous and current co-workers remember their first plan they approved or first form they stamped. What was yours if you remember?

I assume when you ask "How often do you use it?" you mean our stamp? I "use" my 'PE' a lot (e-mail signature, business card, etc. ;) ) but my stamp? - haven't yet. I have put together a set of plans from survey file to mylar but I work for a City and it's set up here so that the City Engineer samps everything prepared in-house. So, if I stay here, I may never stamp anything. :(

How often do you use it?

I assume when you ask "How often do you use it?" you mean our stamp? I "use" my 'PE' a lot (e-mail signature, business card, etc. ;) ) but my stamp? - haven't yet. I have put together a set of plans from survey file to mylar but I work for a City and it's set up here so that the City Engineer samps everything prepared in-house. So, if I stay here, I may never stamp anything. :(

Everytime you write a little memo on a post-it note for someone, stamp it!

First official stamp was on the bosses reciprocity application. Haven't used it since, just sits in the drawer drying out which is fine by me.

I finally got to "use" my PE when I moved into utility work. The first set of plans I stamped were for a small sewer replacement project. Kind of disappointing, though - all I really stamped was a blank sheet of paper, which the AutoCAD tech used to make an electronic stamp. All I did was sign.... sigh..... But I have had the pleasure of actually stamping a number of things since then.

The first time I used my stamp on a co-workers application. Since then maybe twice a year. Normally for pro-bono work or to give a "second opinion" for a fellow Scout Leader who does building code inspections. I am not above being paid in homemade venison sausage.

Back