Illinois PE vs SE experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshlhs2001

Reaction score
I recently took the PE exam in Illinois. I plan on getting the PE now, and the SE later once I have time to do some studying. I had my first kid recently, so giving up a few weeks to study for the PE exam was doable. Most of my experience would be considered structural in nature; since Illinois licenses separately, I have learned that much of my structural experience may not count for a PE license. Because of this, I will focus on "civil" experience for my application. I have a few questions I'd like some help with.

Should I include the structural design experience as well to have more content? I've worked with all the major materials in high wind and seismic environments.

Since the line between the two isn't very clear sometimes, what sort of items count as "civil" experience? I have done plenty of site structure type designs; retaining walls, equipment pads, electrical manholes, fences and gates. I have done very little grading or utility work.

I have helped with some construction scheduling, planning, and cost evaluation, but mostly as it related to my structures which were pieces of much larger projects. Should I include those types of items?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Josh,

Yes, when applying to take the SE exam you should give structural design experience. They may want to hear about specific projects as well.

I'm sure you've looked at this site already, but here's the IL: SE Board's website: http://www.idfpr.com/profs/info/SE.asp

I should recommend reading the SE act and SE rules before you start filling out the app. You should model your responses on your experience based on this.

Good luck on waiting for the PE, passing it, and then moving on to the SE.

Thanks Kevo; perhaps I was unclear in my question.

I understand the process to get the SE and I have no doubt that I passed the PE exam.

I had a representative of the licensing division in Illinois tell me when I asked about using structural experience for the PE License application, "If the Board does allow your experience, you will not be allowed to offer any structural services in Illinois until you are licensed as a SE." Since they offer the Civil-Structural PE exam, I did not think structural experience would prevent me from obtaining the PE, but only limit types of services offered in Illinois. That is why I'm trying to focus on items that could be considered "Civil" by the "Board". I'm unsure where they might draw the line between civil and structural.

Josh, I think that I understand now.

IL does have a line between civil and structural. This is all found in the SE act. If you would like to "reuse" civil experience then you would need to make sure that it is structural in nature and it was under an SE.

As always, when in doubt just call up the board. When I called them for help with my SE licence they were happy to point me in the right direction.

I hope this helps.

Back