Unconventional education--pass the FE to get a job?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel111

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My basic question is this: I have a liberal arts bachelor's degree, and a master's in electrical engineering from a university in Korea. Would passing the FE allow/help me to enter the EE job market (In the U.S., where I'm from, originally)?

Other issues I'm not quite sure about are (1) passing the exam in the first place, and (2), being allowed to take the exam. Regarding these, I'm planning (tentatively), to study for the October 2013 test,which should give me enough time, and I understand that Michigan neither regulates test takers, nor certifies those who pass, while New Hampshire does the latter, only.

My areas of study in graduate school were dye-sensitized solar cells and power electronics, and I'm currently 28 years old.

I appreciate any input or advice you can give me.

Daniel111

I suggest to contact the board of the state you are going to take the test to see if they allow your education. Most states requires a BSEE that is acredited by ABET. Sometimes boards make exceptions depending on the situation. As you will notice in your carrer it depends by the state. Now will having an EIT shall help you to get a job. Well of course it can help. As more prepared you are the better your chances. But the economy is still in bad shape, sometimes finding a job even with a PE is hard to find.

Back