Virginia proposes printing it's own currency

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Secret Service may have something to say about that. Do some research on Liberty Dollars if you want to see how the Federal Government responds to challenges against their fiat currency. The Liberty Dollars were 100% backed by precious metals, didn't say they were associated with the Fed at all, and made it a point to say that it was not legal tender. The Secret Service arrested the owner of company that made Liberty Dollars for counterfeiting and seized his entire vault full of precious metals.

^They weren't a government entity. That may very will be a huge difference, legally.

^They weren't a government entity. That may very will be a huge difference, legally.

Right but the federal government has the right to regulate currency not the states ... that was one of problems of the articles of confederation - why they had to re-do it and came up with the constitution ... in the constitution it gives the federal government that right and illegalizes the state currency ... kinda weird that they wanna do this now ... this was already sorted out pre-1800's ...

Right but the federal government has the right to regulate currency not the states ... that was one of problems of the articles of confederation - why they had to re-do it and came up with the constitution ... in the constitution it gives the federal government that right and illegalizes the state currency ... kinda weird that they wanna do this now ... this was already sorted out pre-1800's ...
I could be wrong, because I really didn't pay that much attention to the issue, but I seem to recall your argument being correct for interstate use of currency, but not for currency used solely within the borders of the individual states.

SC has also tried this for incandescent bulbs and, most recently, guns

I could be wrong, because I really didn't pay that much attention to the issue, but I seem to recall your argument being correct for interstate use of currency, but not for currency used solely within the borders of the individual states.

SC has also tried this for incandescent bulbs and, most recently, guns

so I researched a couple things online and found that this is something that is done way more frequently than I would have thought! Holy Crap! That's alotta places that have something similar in place .. however they are all done by local communities - I wonder what the legalities are for a state to adopt a currency like that ... it would destabilize the US dollar ... I can't see something like this working out even on a state level ... I think the feds would shut this down pretty quickly ..

I despise when apostrophes are used incorrectly.
You'd hate some of the names you see in the crime blotters arond here.
I like those kinds of names. It's when the possessive is confused with the conjunction or plural that bugs me.

Anyway, I was drunk when I wrote that. My inner Grammar Nazi is now in remission, and I still have nothing to contribute to this thread.

Anyway, I was drunk when I wrote that. My inner Grammar Nazi is now in remission, and I still have nothing to contribute to this thread.
My 14-year-old was doing an English assignment where he had to come up with a list of "likes" and "hates". On the hate side: "Nazis, ... , Grammar Nazis, ..." I asked which one he hated more and he said it was a toss-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 14-year-old was doing an English assignment where he had to come up with a list of "likes" and "hates". On the hate side: "Nazis, ... , Grammar Nazis, ..." I asked which one he hated more and he said it was a toss-up.
LOL! Though I think you're living in the wrong area for the former. Isn't there a huge neo-Nazi movement where you are?

We have the Michigan Militia and the Hutaree here, but thank god we don't have grammar nazis!

^ A friend of mine lives in Oxnard and had a cross burned on his front yard. Your county is crawling with neo-Nazis, but they get less attention since none of them have been murdered by their 10-year-olds.

Oxnard can be scary... but better to spend the night in a VC jail than an LA jail! Not that I'd know.

True. And OC jails are OK, but that's assuming you get taken into custody without the cops beating you to death first.

Back