For those who passed the PE ...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anxiouspetaker

Reaction score
So now that I have my PE and my bosses seem reluctant to give me a raise (I work in local public government and there are "lists" and "tests" and bureaucracy) ... living in NY is expensive!! So my husband and myself have been thinking of moving to a state/area where the cost of living is low and the income for PEs is good ... does anyone on here have any suggestions on areas that have a low cost of living? Or a website where I could obtain this info?

Thanks!!

LOL ... I have tried google but it's not easy to wade through all the irrelevant stuff ... figured the engineers on this board may be more helpful ...

thanks for the website!! has alotta info ...

In general the midwest and the southeast are fairly low cost of living. Local factors still apply of course. Whether there's jobs you are willing to take is another matter.

I live in western WA. Pretty expensive housing, but the rest isn't too bad. Eastern side of the state is much lower cost of living, but generally lower pay too. Still works out to your advantage, generally, to take a little less pay in order to get much lower cost of living.

Can't really speak to the civil side as far pay. Private sector often pays better, but govt bennies are usually better and the employment levels tend to be less volitile on the govt side. Or least it used to be that way. Who know where things are headed.

Thanks for the advice sumpnz ... been thinking of NC or SC so we could still travel to see fam but idk... I like WA and OR too in that the cost of living is low and pay is decent ... I guess it's going to depend on alotta factors ... thanks tho!

Wow I just checked that site real quick and it turns out that I live in the highest cost of living area based on the list. Not completely shocking, but still... I need to move :-/

Raleigh, NC is definitely a hotspot right now for engineering, especially civil. I'd be very keen to look at that area. Pacific NW is really lukewarm right now unless you're an electrical and love Intel processors.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now that I have my PE and my bosses seem reluctant to give me a raise (I work in local public government and there are "lists" and "tests" and bureaucracy) ... living in NY is expensive!! So my husband and myself have been thinking of moving to a state/area where the cost of living is low and the income for PEs is good ... does anyone on here have any suggestions on areas that have a low cost of living? Or a website where I could obtain this info?

Thanks!!
Is there a reason they should give you a raise for getting your PE? Do they care you got your PE?

Raleigh, NC is definitely a hotspot right now for engineering, especially civil. I'd be very keen to look at that area. Pacific NW is really lukewarm right now unless you're an electrical and love Intel processors.

Pacific NW is hot for electronics? How about the power industry what is your feeling on that end? Is bigfoot country close to the area?

Pacific NW is hot for electronics? How about the power industry what is your feeling on that end? Is bigfoot country close to the area?
Lots of jobs in the power industry here in Washington. Lots of utilities and some big government / organizations here too. WECC, BPA, PSE, and there is also PNNL and Schwietzer in the central / east part of the state. Not to mention consulting jobs with Alstrom / Areva and a couple of others.

One thing is cost of living is really high in the PNW.

Thanks!!
Is there a reason they should give you a raise for getting your PE? Do they care you got your PE?
Is there any reason that matters? She's looking for a new job and area to live in. I got a raise for mine, and, if I didn't, I would find a new job too.

Cost of living in the southeast low most places. Even Atlanta will seem very low to someone coming from NY. Just visit and are a few times before you commit. There are some dumps down here you don't want to end up in. I've lived in MS, AL, GA, and, now, SC. I'd recommend Greenville, SC, the northern part of Atlanta, North Georgia in general, the coast area of AL (Baldwin Co.), and Huntsville, AL. There are many other areas, but those are the ones off the top of my head I have knowledge of.

^ I think the point that will was trying to make is, if the PE isn't adding any value to the company, simply having a PE may not warrant a raise with some companies.

^ I think the point that will was trying to make is, if the PE isn't adding any value to the company, simply having a PE may not warrant a raise with some companies.

And my point is that her post had nothing to do with whether her company should give her a raise or not. She didn't ask if they should or not. She said they aren't and she wants a new job and asked for recommendations on where to relocate.

WOW .. thanks for all the assistance and the recommendations ... I'm in the process of making a list and visiting a bunch of different neighborhoods before we commit to anything and I will defintely put some of these on my list ...

And as for my job not giving me a raise - For NY as a Civil Engineer with 7+ years of experience doing what I'm doing, I'm getting paid pennies ... I signed up for the job with the expectation that getting my PE will give me a 40% bump in salary by September with a promotion ... now that it looks like it's not happening, I'm not making enough money to live ... it's been an unpleasant year and half that I can't continue to do for the next 6 years until another test comes out ... hence the wanting to move or leave or something ...

We are filled to the max with Yankees down here.

WOW .. thanks for all the assistance and the recommendations ... I'm in the process of making a list and visiting a bunch of different neighborhoods before we commit to anything and I will defintely put some of these on my list ...

And as for my job not giving me a raise - For NY as a Civil Engineer with 7+ years of experience doing what I'm doing, I'm getting paid pennies ... I signed up for the job with the expectation that getting my PE will give me a 40% bump in salary by September with a promotion ... now that it looks like it's not happening, I'm not making enough money to live ... it's been an unpleasant year and half that I can't continue to do for the next 6 years until another test comes out ... hence the wanting to move or leave or something ...

I working in the city goverment agency. Is the list you refer to is engineering series civil list from DCAS? I thought the requirement is that you need to have the PE license in NYS at least on 12/4/2012 or before (Final filling period).

I have my CA PE since Jan 2011 and my NY PE lisence since March 2012 and now is Jan 2013 .....I talk to my boss for almost 2 years and still no raise.....I am making 56K now....live in NY.

I working in the city goverment agency. Is the list you refer to is engineering series civil list from DCAS? I thought the requirement is that you need to have the PE license in NYS at least on 12/4/2012 or before (Final filling period).

I have my CA PE since Jan 2011 and my NY PE lisence since March 2012 and now is Jan 2013 .....I talk to my boss for almost 2 years and still no raise.....I am making 56K now....live in NY.

yea I work with NYC gov and yup had to have the PE by 12/4 (results came out 12/20 and got my number on 1/7). it really sucks! absolutely stupid. And how in the world are you supposed to survive on a salary of even 56K - mind you I'm making less than that - in NY!!! even if you live in the burbs ... absoluteky ridiculous.

yea I work with NYC gov and yup had to have the PE by 12/4 (results came out 12/20 and got my number on 1/7). it really sucks! absolutely stupid. And how in the world are you supposed to survive on a salary of even 56K - mind you I'm making less than that - in NY!!! even if you live in the burbs ... absoluteky ridiculous.

File a grievance if you are doing out of title work and believe you should be compensated more than what you are getting paid. There are titles without a PE requirement out there that earn as much, if not more, than engineering titles. Unfortunately, if you were expecting to be treated with respect as an engineer, then the City of NY is not the place to work for. Unless you're connected to someone you will just watch as the managers divide up any new money amongst themselves and then blame the union for asking for a fair contract. And then we have a mayor who thinks putting an MBA or JD in charge of engineers is a smart idea.

Back