The 2013 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
So who's gonna garden this year and what are you gonna grow?

I got a raised be kit for Christmas, go I'm putting carrots, onions, peppers, chives, strawberries, and beans in that for sure.

Garden we did last year along the fence will get squash, cucumber, tomatoes, cantaloupe and honeydews. Stuff I can train to the fence.

We're doing one this year, but I have to build it first. In the past we used two 6'x6' planter boxes, but the first year with the chickens they were destroyed. Last year, we didn't bother. This year the wife wants me to build her a fenced in garden next to our 12'x14' yard shed. Will start on this early spring. No idea what she'll plant, but I'm hoping for the Leafs and cucumbers again, they were my fav.

Don't forget the HSD......you know.......for fertilizer. ;)
We have a cat that does this for us. He singlehandedly wiped out the onions last year fertlizing the crop.

He did love to come out and 'help' while I was watering/weeding/etc, but after he killed the onions mainly just watched me.

I made a raised bed a while back, but wasn't very successful. Will be trying again this year. The only thing that survived was a tomato plant... that was neglected... never watered (beside rains)... and had nothing to climb so it just sprawled. I think it finally got wiped out after a couple of nights near freezing.

Dude it's January. . . got 4 months before having to worry about the garden ;)
Gotta start soil preps, compost pile, tilling, assembling the raised beds...March is but two months away (where'd you get four?)

Weather was record setting this weekend. Perfect for cutting lantannas and Mexican petunias. Also raked the yard and planted other lantanas and Mexican petunias along with a couple of crinum bulbs.

The yard where I live has been neglected for years so I have an overwhelming amount of landscaping to do, but I very much want to get a garden going first. Have to start from scratch though, and on a sloped lot at that, but there's a decent spot where I took out some pine trees that will do. Right now, it's a blackberry farm (and not in the good way).

I despise cucumbers, but they love growing for me, so I guess it'll be cucumbers, tomatoes, & jalapenos.

Also, now that Junior has announced he's a vegetarian, I plan to put in some soybeans & other legumes. They grow great around here, have a lot of protein, and can be addd to anything. The only downside is that no matter how you prepare soybeans, they're still soybeans. Not my problem I guess since I will be eating steak off the grill.

Oh you can call them "edamame" and slather them with butter & salt, but it's still just a soybean.

Right now, it's a blackberry farm (and not in the good way).
If you find a good way to kill those fthings, let me know. At some point, a PO of our house planted blackberries, and the fthings sprouted up everywhere. Mowing over them over and over works, but I can't get into the shrubberies.

We scored a free six drawer dresser. We're going to pull the drawers out and use them as small raised beds.

Picked upo some sweet corn seeds the other day. Since tomatoes are slated to go to $4.00/lb this year (don't know why), might go a little heavier on the mater plants this year (I haven't had much success with them past two years.

You might be a redneck if you use dresser drawers as raised beds... :p

I'll be out in the garden when I get back from my trip in a few weeks. I need to work the soil a little and plant some broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach.

We plan on growing sweet corn, cucumbers, and carrots. We'll need to plant in the next few weeks. Does anyone have a good recipe or suggestion for fertilizer prep? Trying to find chicken manure, but it's scarce.

^I'm no expert, but I've had pretty good luck mixing in compost/cow manure bags and putting out lime and regular 10-10-10 fertilizer. It's not "organic" but it's worked pretty well for me.

Back