Looking to buy used study material for the seismic exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerkamp88

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing used seismic study material. I have the latest Hiner, ASCE 7, and IBC, but I'm looking for additional study material. This is the only test I have left to pass and I took it once so far (Nov 2012).

I felt that the test covered a lot of basic questions that I wasn't prepared for. I've read that the 350 problems book is a good one. Are there any other recommendations?

For those that passed recently, will you contact me if you are interested in selling me your used seismic study material?

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

I'm interested in purchasing used seismic study material. I have the latest Hiner, ASCE 7, and IBC, but I'm looking for additional study material. This is the only test I have left to pass and I took it once so far (Nov 2012).

I felt that the test covered a lot of basic questions that I wasn't prepared for. I've read that the 350 problems book is a good one. Are there any other recommendations?

For those that passed recently, will you contact me if you are interested in selling me your used seismic study material?

Thank you and Happy Holidays!
The Hiner is all you need. I read through the entire book and did all of the problems in the back (multiple choice and problem solving) about 5 solid times.

At the very end of my study time I read through the 345 solved seismic problems which I found to be much more difficult than the exam problems. I also did the sample seismic exams which were basically just select problems from the 345 solved seismic problems.

Moral of the story: Hiner is all you need, but you have to do the problems over and over again so you're fast as lightning in finding IBC/ASCE tables and stuff.

IF YOU have time, i would save one month to go through the 345 solved seismic problems. But dont get discouraged if some of the problems seem way out in left field because they ARE.

i studied the Hiner thoroughly and I simply didn't feel prepared. i felt like the Hiner simplified things way to much on certain topics and way too little on other topics.

i studied the Hiner thoroughly and I simply didn't feel prepared. i felt like the Hiner simplified things way to much on certain topics and way too little on other topics.
Let me correct myself: the Hiner was all that I needed personally.

This is the way I see it: Hiner breaks out every single concept on the exam into small problems in his multiple choice section. When it comes to the test, you may see problems that are unfamiliar to you, but you should be able to determine which concept from Hiner to apply. Most of the concepts come from ASCE/IBC, so you can master most of the concepts. You can never master every problem type, however.

Try getting the 345 solved problems and going through those carefully too I suppose.

Back