When can re-takers sit for the next exam? (NC)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
According to

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByChapter/Chapter_89C.html

89C-14.(e)

A candidate failing an examination may apply, and be considered by the Board, for reexamination at the end of six months. The Board shall make such reexamination charge as is necessary to defray the cost of the examination.

Is this true? I always was under the impression that you can retake the PE at the next examination date. Fellow NC PE, can you help me out?

I'm not sure of the specific rules in NC, but in GA we were authorized for 4 exam cycles before having to reapply to the state board.

In Missouri, you have a short re-exam application that you turn in, not a full PE application...It's just a formality, and then you sign up again on NCEES...you can take the next exam if you so wish

Thanks for the replies, but it seems like it is a "state-by-state" thing. I hope I can take it in April, but it's not looking too good. I'm waiting for a response from the NC board.

Thanks for the replies, but it seems like it is a "state-by-state" thing. I hope I can take it in April, but it's not looking too good. I'm waiting for a response from the NC board.
This is what's listed in the NC Application Procedure Handbook regardin reexamination for the PE Exam and what I've always understood to be the case:

Reexamination

An applicant who fails to pass the examination may be readmitted to the same examination at a later administration, upon written request for readmission and the submission of the applicable reexamination fee.

An applicant who has accumulated a combination of three (3) or more failures or unexcused absences on an examination shall only be eligible after submitting a new application with appropriate application fee, and be considered by the Board for reexamination at the end of twelve (12) months. After the end of the twelve (12) month period, the applicant may take the examination no more than once every calendar year. The Board will make a determination as to the applicant’s qualifications for further examination, and so inform the applicant.

I've just confirmed with a co-worker who failed their initial PE exam, that they were allowed to retake the exam the very next time it was offered. I'm not exactly sure why the "at the end of 6 months" verbage is included in the state statue but one can only surmise it was to intended to prevent applicants from taking the exam multiple times within a period shorter than the current Spring/Fall cycle in which the exam is currently being offered.

You guys are great. Thanks for all of the helpful replies!

Sometimes you get bogged down on verbiage and the intent goes away. My letter is on the way!

Back