Where to sit for a foreign degreed guy? Please help!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rejectedbytexas

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I received my BS in 2004 and my Ph.D. in 2009, both in Traffic Engineering in a foreign country. In early 2009, I came to the U.S. to work as a university researcher and then as a faculty. Now it has been 4 years. My work is to develop methods and design/traffic operation guidelines for traffic engineers with state DOTs. In 2013, I will lecture a Traffic Engineering course. I am considering taking a PE exam after I passed the FE exam October 2012.

I may not care about if I can seal a plan. What I hope for a PE license is to prove my professional qualifications. Hope it can help me develop better carrer or something. You guys may not know how painful each step can be for a FOREIGN degreed guy...sigh... Recently, I was informed that I have to work for another 4 years to sit in Texas PE exam.

California Board sounded great to me, but just heard that California has a pass rate of 40%, which is 20% lower than the national average.

Could you please give me some suggestions on which state I can take the PE exam in? Any idea will be appreciated.

Suggestion CAlifornia, it wouldnt be a problem for you to write these exams, you have a Phd degree.

I wouldn't suggest California, for the simple fact they like to make people with transportation sit for the Traffic Engineering (TE) exam, not the PE. In other words, you would have to word your qualifications and references carefully in CA.

I wouldn't suggest California, for the simple fact they like to make people with transportation sit for the Traffic Engineering (TE) exam, not the PE. In other words, you would have to word your qualifications and references carefully in CA.
thank you! Could you please be more specific? How can I avoid being directed to te? Any tips pls?

Let's do this systematically. I believe, based upon what I have read on this board that California has a "California Specific" test for engineers who wish to test in the traffic discipline. I say "I believe" because I am neither a California registered engineer or a traffic engineer. Perhaps a California PE can address this more precisely.

There are some challenges about becoming licensed if you are a foreign degree holder. It is not impossible, however, there are some hoops to jump through. Here is how to best approach the problem--A. Go to NCEES.org and read about foreign degree evaluations, etc. The rules have just changed and NCEES now does all of the foreign degree evaluations. Don't be surprised if you are required to take some more course work, normally in the humanities in order to have a comparable educational background to those that have an ABET accredited degree. You did not say which country your degrees are from-- ABET does have some schools that are accredited overseas, yours may be one of them. I suspect, probably not, if Texas is requiring additional time. However, to be sure, go to ABET.ORG and review the foreign schools that have ABET accreditation.ate

B. Determine what state you wish to take the examination in. I think that the time you spend screwing around trying to find a specific state is time poorly spent. If you have a faculty appointment in a state, I would go for that state's licensing criteria. If you are teaching/researching in Mississippi, then I would go and follow whatever the rules are for Mississippi. Yes, you can go see what some other state requires-- say New Jersey, however, you will spend more time researching and screwing around than just doing what Mississippi or whatever state you are in requires.

C. This is not impossible-- however, there is a test of patience and jumping through a series of hoops. Kind of look at it that way-- set the hoops up and get started. IT WILL do no good to bitch and bellyache abuot having a foreign degree, equivalency or anything else. The rules have been established to protect the safety, health and welfare of the general public. The more that I become involved in licensure, the more sense the rules make. I did not say that I agree with all of them, however, each rule has been developed for a reason. Interestingly, this is more complicated than meets the eye. I did not realize or recognize the complexity of this whole licensure matter until I got involved in the process. This is a BIG DEAL--not a trivial exercise.

D. As a recovering academic, I commend you to go pursue professional engineering licensure. This is a very noteworthy achievement. I would hope that all academics would do so, however, many do not.

E. Being an earned PhD holder, and teaching in an engineering school, there are some states that may specific exceptions for engineering educators. Texas is one of them. There are other states as well, however, now living and being licensed in Texas, I possess some familiarity with Texas Licensing law.

I hope that this helps you on your path toward licensure. This is not complicated or hard-- somewhat pedantic, but not hard. If you have more questions, ask. We'll get you going down the path. You can do this-- good luck.

Hi Solomonb,

Thank you for your reply! It is helpful to me. BTW, I live in Texas, work with a small state university, and dream about becoming a PE.

A. My education program is not ABET accredited but I have my degrees equivalency evaluated by an agency approved by Texas Board.

B. I kind of think even if the time spent screwing around is a waste of time, I don't feel like waiting for another 4 years for sit for Texas exam. Wait is another format of waste of time and oppotunities.

C. I respect all the board laws, no doubt. I am just looking for a board that is more open to foreign degreed guy.

D. Definitely

E. Texas educator license is more demanding in eligibility than regular PE license. I wish I can do something now rather than spend a couple of years waiting for the Educator waiver.

Thanks and wish you have a nice holiday season!

Let's do this systematically. I believe, based upon what I have read on this board that California has a "California Specific" test for engineers who wish to test in the traffic discipline. I say "I believe" because I am neither a California registered engineer or a traffic engineer. Perhaps a California PE can address this more precisely.

There are some challenges about becoming licensed if you are a foreign degree holder. It is not impossible, however, there are some hoops to jump through. Here is how to best approach the problem--A. Go to NCEES.org and read about foreign degree evaluations, etc. The rules have just changed and NCEES now does all of the foreign degree evaluations. Don't be surprised if you are required to take some more course work, normally in the humanities in order to have a comparable educational background to those that have an ABET accredited degree. You did not say which country your degrees are from-- ABET does have some schools that are accredited overseas, yours may be one of them. I suspect, probably not, if Texas is requiring additional time. However, to be sure, go to ABET.ORG and review the foreign schools that have ABET accreditation.ate

B. Determine what state you wish to take the examination in. I think that the time you spend screwing around trying to find a specific state is time poorly spent. If you have a faculty appointment in a state, I would go for that state's licensing criteria. If you are teaching/researching in Mississippi, then I would go and follow whatever the rules are for Mississippi. Yes, you can go see what some other state requires-- say New Jersey, however, you will spend more time researching and screwing around than just doing what Mississippi or whatever state you are in requires.

C. This is not impossible-- however, there is a test of patience and jumping through a series of hoops. Kind of look at it that way-- set the hoops up and get started. IT WILL do no good to bitch and bellyache abuot having a foreign degree, equivalency or anything else. The rules have been established to protect the safety, health and welfare of the general public. The more that I become involved in licensure, the more sense the rules make. I did not say that I agree with all of them, however, each rule has been developed for a reason. Interestingly, this is more complicated than meets the eye. I did not realize or recognize the complexity of this whole licensure matter until I got involved in the process. This is a BIG DEAL--not a trivial exercise.

D. As a recovering academic, I commend you to go pursue professional engineering licensure. This is a very noteworthy achievement. I would hope that all academics would do so, however, many do not.

E. Being an earned PhD holder, and teaching in an engineering school, there are some states that may specific exceptions for engineering educators. Texas is one of them. There are other states as well, however, now living and being licensed in Texas, I possess some familiarity with Texas Licensing law.

I hope that this helps you on your path toward licensure. This is not complicated or hard-- somewhat pedantic, but not hard. If you have more questions, ask. We'll get you going down the path. You can do this-- good luck.

My suggestion would be go to the Board's website, check the experience that qualifies for the PE and TE exams, and avoid using terms that would confuse your experience with TE exam experience (if possible). They didn't have problems with my experience, but I know there are people who didn't have enough experience for the PE because their experience covered things entirely under the scope of the TE exam, even though that same experience would qualify for the PE in other states.

thank you! Could you please be more specific? How can I avoid being directed to te? Any tips pls?

Many thanks, brother. This is a really important headup for me!

My suggestion would be go to the Board's website, check the experience that qualifies for the PE and TE exams, and avoid using terms that would confuse your experience with TE exam experience (if possible). They didn't have problems with my experience, but I know there are people who didn't have enough experience for the PE because their experience covered things entirely under the scope of the TE exam, even though that same experience would qualify for the PE in other states.

OK, you are the first step down the road with your degrees being evaluated by an approved source by the Texas Board. Did you have deficiencies that you need to make up? If yes, what are they?

Here is where they address the rules for the PE license for Texas educators-- -http://engineers.texas.gov/lic_ed.htm

Hope that this helps you.

Thank you so much for the kind note on the website. My degrees are OK, but I need 4 more years of experience for this TBPE law:

"2. An applicant who has earned a doctoral degree in engineering (non-ABET) or other related field of science or mathematics assessed and approved by the Board must have eight (8) years". 3. Applicants who meet the educational requirements of either (1) or (2) above and who... and who...

I have worked for 4 years so far, this is my deficiency to sit a Texas exam. Thanks!

OK, you are the first step down the road with your degrees being evaluated by an approved source by the Texas Board. Did you have deficiencies that you need to make up? If yes, what are they?

Here is where they address the rules for the PE license for Texas educators-- -http://engineers.texas.gov/lic_ed.htm

Hope that this helps you.

Maybe check Ohio. One of my grad school profs is a PhD/PE from Egypt. He had no connection to Ohio but that's where he could easiest sit the PE exam.

In Delaware you need 8 years of experience with non ABET degree. In Maryland even though your NCEES evaluation says you are OK, they may make you study credits of math or sciences, I would not recommend.

Hi,

I am your type, foreign bachelor's degree. But I got my master's in USA . However, most states wanted me to apply after 6 or 8 years. NJ was the ONLY state which allowed me to sit for the exam with less than 4 years of work experience in USA . Primary reason, I had my MS which credited for 1 year of work experience and my recommendations from work colleagues were strong.

You are to fill out an application in the process. I put together a very strong application by highlighting all technical work done so far, INCLUDING my foreign work experience. They say they wont consider foreign work experience, but its always good to show your techincal expertise, which I did. I was approved at my first attempt at 3.5 years of work experience...

Few other flex states could be DE and MD .. NJ was closest to my location and I picked it..

hope this helps

Back