Would you want to know your raw test score up front? - Page 2 - OCT 2012 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
calimechanicaleng

Would you want to know your raw test score up front?

The PE exam, like many professional credentials or certifications, is a minimum-proficiency exam. In terms of the credential received for a passing score, there is no difference between a candidate with the minimum successful passing score and any other candidate with a passing score above that minimum up to, and including, a perfect score.

There are threads about pay raises and new opportunities for freshly-minted PEs, but the reality of the PE w/r/t the business world is that like professional pilots, professional engineers with the same credential are seen as interchangable commodities through the lens of for-profit businesses (and probably also through the lens of government agencies and non-profits).

Accordingly, your individual score is relatively meaningless to anyone other than you. Either you have the credential to perform the work or you don't. The relative merits and pitfalls of such a system are subject to ongoing debate. But, in the United States at least, we enjoy a high level of reliability and safety while subject to a process that does not recognize or differentiate engineering skill at the fundamental licensing level.

I would like to know my raw score out of morbid curiosity. I realize that since I passed I can be deemed reasonably proficient in engineering, but I'd really like to know the answers to a question or two on the test that have been nagging me since April.

Sign in to follow this