So, we passed, now we wait again.. New York

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apex_predetor

Reaction score
So, we have passed, and now we wait another 4 weeks for NY to issue us a number and get us our certificate?

What are the next steps we need to take?

So, we have passed, and now we wait another 4 weeks for NY to issue us a number and get us our certificate?

What are the next steps we need to take?
To relax for starters. Enjoy the holidays and take up the battle after the new year.

If I work in a very small engineering company and they ask me to use my PE credentials, What should I ask my company to do regarding insurance and other paperwork, costs, etc?

If I work in a very small engineering company and they ask me to use my PE credentials, What should I ask my company to do regarding insurance and other paperwork, costs, etc?
I would assume that they should simply add you to their insurance policy. However, I work for a medium to large engineering company and things may be different because of that.

As far as costs go, you should check what your company policy is (if you have one). I know my company reimburses me for the licensure and exam registration fees (~$630). However, they will not reimburse me for any review material like books (but they will reimburse for review COURSES, weird).

I'm not sure what other paperwork you're referring to.

Don't represent yourself as a PE until you receive your registration from NYS. Mine is dated two days before I received it in the mail and the same day I was added to the online database - until you're added, NYS has not officially licensed you. They review your application again and they can potentially hold your license until you meet additional qualifications.

After you are registered by NYS, then your company needs to add you to their errors and omission policy.

I believe CU is right, it is unusual but it is possible to pass and not be granted a PE registration without additional steps...ie project examples, board interviews ect.

It shouldn't be a long wait, but you are better off waiting for your registration number before adding PE to your name, paperwork, ect

At least you took the exam in NY. I took it in CT beacause my experience wasn't complete until July (and NY's deadlines are just ridiculous) so now I have to wait a lot more than just four weeks before I can get licensed. But can't complain; at least I passed. Oh and I'll be registered in CT (yay?)

Those who passed, couple of questions:

How long it takes to get a license number?

What is the minimum, average salary for a PE Civil Engineer in NY?

If we remain in the same company, what percentage raise is possible?(this depend on how you earn before PE license)

Mine is really low :( <$60K

I got a raise to about $60,000 after I passed the April 2012 exam. I live in a city but not NYC and I believe this is typical for my area with its low cost of living. My next promotion is likely to come in 3-4 years depending on my quality of work and that should add another $10k, though I will probably get about 1-2% a year in the meantime so the jump in salary will be gradual.

Edited to add that I don't work in a high-paying field of engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those interested, have a look at this thread for some good discussions on salaries and pay raises after receiving a PE license.

Any idea as to how NYS posts license numbers? Do they go alphabetically or the order in which you applied, etc?

I know on the results sheet from NCEES it said another 4 or 5 weeks from Dec. 14th. which would put it at roughly the middle of January (January 18th). I hope they begin to process the license number soon though.

I know on the results sheet from NCEES it said another 4 or 5 weeks from Dec. 14th. which would put it at roughly the middle of January (January 18th). I hope they begin to process the license number soon though.
I know they are upto # 091597. Everyday I've been checking ... I know it's too early for them to issue a license number but I'm a tad impatient .. lOl ... they are still doing out-of-state people although I've seen some NY addresses so who knows ...

Just checked the NY websites, they are starting to add a lot of NY residents in what appears to be alphabetical order, not sure if it has anything to do with disciplines as well.

Just checked the NY websites, they are starting to add a lot of NY residents in what appears to be alphabetical order, not sure if it has anything to do with disciplines as well.
I was just on the NYS board of professions website but cannot seem to find this. Can you point me in the right direction?

Back