Application Timeline for PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden Eagle PE

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to get your thoughts for those of you that have gone through the PE process at least once. I will not acheive the minimum amount of required professional experience until July of this coming year. I really would love to take the exam in October, but by the time I apply for exam and get accepted by the board, it might be past the sign up deadline. I think in Texas the deadline is about a month before the exam date. Anyone else struggle with this or thought about it? I just hate waiting until April of the following year! I can always start studying early (before my application) but I am taking a little risk in not being allowed to sit for the exam and then some of my studying is sort of "wasted".

So I guess what I am wondering is if any of you started studying extra early and just assumed you would get accepted by the board to sit for the exam. It seems like if your application is complete, its just formality for them to let you sit for the exam (but what do I know?). I am trying not to over think this too much but since the exam is only offered twice a year, you do need to plan carefully for it and its a big deal for me.

every state is a little different. some will not review you application if it is sent after the date. Some other states try to review everything up until the last day to sign up for the test. Unfortunately the best bet (in my opinion) is to send in your application as soon as its complete (with all of your experience) and see what happens.

It only took MA 1.5 months to approve my application. I did have 6 years of experience plus a master's in EE, so my application was very different, however.

Hey guys, just wanted to get your thoughts for those of you that have gone through the PE process at least once. I will not acheive the minimum amount of required professional experience until July of this coming year. I really would love to take the exam in October, but by the time I apply for exam and get accepted by the board, it might be past the sign up deadline. I think in Texas the deadline is about a month before the exam date. Anyone else struggle with this or thought about it? I just hate waiting until April of the following year! I can always start studying early (before my application) but I am taking a little risk in not being allowed to sit for the exam and then some of my studying is sort of "wasted".

So I guess what I am wondering is if any of you started studying extra early and just assumed you would get accepted by the board to sit for the exam. It seems like if your application is complete, its just formality for them to let you sit for the exam (but what do I know?). I am trying not to over think this too much but since the exam is only offered twice a year, you do need to plan carefully for it and its a big deal for me.
GE,

1.) I'd suggest you do not apply until you meet the application qualifications prior to application submittal.

2.) There is no such thing as studying too early.

Good luck.

Contact your state board and ask. In Missouri, you are allowed to apply and can be approved to sit for the test without the 4 years experience requirement. The board has stated that it is acceptable as long as you achieve that 4 year mark by the date of the test you are applying to take.

Thanks for all your comments. I guess I forgot to mention that Texas specifically says to NOT anticipate experience. So even though I would like to turn in my application early, I really cannot submit it until I have the necessary experience already under my belt. I think jumping through all the hoops properly is the way to go on this even though it does bother me some.

Thanks also for the comment about studying early, I plan on getting the books way before I need them so I can just start thumbing through them as I get my PE application ready to send in.

I took the exam in New York. From what I hear, they are very strict with their deadlines for registering. The deadline for the October 2012 exam was May 2012. I wouldn't have 4 years until around July (just like you). I went ahead and submitted my experience and paid the licensure fee anyway. When they came back and said I was 1.5 months hsort, I simply waited for the time to go by and wrote up the 1.5 months experience and sent it in. Once they had the entire package they approved me for October (in mid August). I assumed I would get accepted and started studying anyway. I guess my point is that even though they have "deadlines" they seem to be fairly loose with them as long as you have the majority of your paperwork in.

mine was similar to your except i waited until i had completed the 4 years of experience and then sent the application in after the may deadline. On their site they say that cannot guarantee acceptance in time for the test if you do not apply on time.

I took the Texas PE. As a chemical engineer (refining), I was a little nervous about what they'd take as qualifying experience, but my experience was accepeted readily. I also have a masters of engineering & 7 yrs experience when I applied, so I guess that was good for them. My advice would be to apply, and if you're rejected, just reapply in 6 months with the additional experience. It's never too early to start studying for that exam though....I wouldn't have wanted to take it more than once....

Back