New Laptop?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumber Jim

EB Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we're in the process of converting from a desktop computer (6 yrs. old) to a laptop that will be able to take advantage of the wireless network that we have at home. Since this is an engineering site, I am assuming that there are some good opinions on what to buy today. My criteria for purchase is as follows:

1. less than $1000 (for me this is negotiable but my wife is being very firm on the budget)

2. Microsoft operating system (probably windows 7)

3. 64 bit

4. 15"-17" with full number pad

5. DVD player

6. Microsoft office

I've found some good Dell computers that fit the bill but would like your thoughts. (I have a dell at work and I like it but my work computer is the first laptop that I have used on a regular basis and to buy the same thing would be out of my price range)

I'd like to get something that will last a while but I don't want to spend an unreasonable amount on it.

I've had good luck with Dell laptops. I'm pretty much my own purchasing department for my work machine and I keep winding up ordering a Dell. My last purchase was in late 2009 which is an eternity where computers are concerned though.

Is Windows 7 still available from OEM suppliers? I haven't been paying much attention other than to see that everything at the local Best Buy is running Windows 8.

All I can say, is ORDER NOW directly from manufacturer to even get a chance of Win7. Most companies are putting Win8 on all of their machines and it's a worthless POS if you don't have a touch screen.

Get one with USB ports (not port). They are getting harder to find and some USB devices don't work well on a non-powered or self-powered splitter. I like a seperate mouse with micro USB transmitter, but the laptop needs to have the ability to disable the touchpad when it detects an external device (typical on newer machines).

I have a HP from 2009 that the hard drive went belly up 1 day after the warranty expired; I replaced the drive and it's been running like a champ since (although the USB ports are now starting to go). I like Dell, but have yet to be able to justify the expense (although the ability to have a docking station for home use is very convenient!)

I still shy away from the Walmart versions of any computer (the model numbers are hard to get parts for). I also have yet to find an Acer or Asus worth it's weight as an anchor (but some swear by them). Compaq is the same as HP now, so hard to go wrong there. Toshiba's are decent, but the fans are a tad loud for my liking (g/f has one).

Good luck!

^The docking station is what has driven me to Dell on the last two work laptops. My only monetary restriction for the work machine purchase is "Just don't get stupid", so I don't.

I've had good luck with Dell laptops.
I have not. Video card on mine went. Then it went again. When it went the third time I threw the piece of crap out.

The first time it went was under warranty. I had paid for the "next day at home" 4 year warranty (discount through work). Next day my ass. Had to mail it in and was without a computer for a MONTH.

The second time it went I found a refurbished video card online for under $200. Two days later I got a notice of a class-action lawsuit against Dell for knowingly selling these junk video cards and ended up with a settlement for about $200, so that covered the cost of the second video card. But that card only lasted about 2 months.

I will never buy a Dell again. Crappy computer, HORRENDOUS service.

so apparently dell is one of those you either get a dud out of the box or a decent machine...nothing in the middle. Mr snick had a dell laptop for work last round...he had nothing but trouble with it.

I hated my personal Dell, and I hate my work Dell even more.

My admin buddy is a big fan of the HP Envy series and the ThinkPad T series.

I got the notice about the video card class action but the model I had wasn't on the list. I'll be doing a little extra due diligence when replacement time comes for the current machine. The laptops last me quite a while since 90+% of the time it's operating only as a file server.

I had a Dell, and although the customer service was good, I won't buy another one. We have had better luck with HP's. Then again, we had an HP tower that the hard drive went out on when it was about 2 years old. The most recent purchase was this laptop... seems to fit your bill if only about 50 or 60 bucks out of your price range... the husband loves... I have yet to get to use it much... we have had it for about 6 months though so I can't say much about long term...

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Quad-Edition-generation-Fingerprint/dp/B005QH1GSW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1335709641&sr=1-2

Has anybody tried the Google Chromebooks? They are dirt cheap and look to be fairly good if you're not looking to do a whole lot with it other than Office type applications and internet.

As a system builder (and repairs) for my small side business outside my engineering job, my opinion is that Dell and HP have now gone into catering to businesses rather than home users. Most of the PCs/laptops I get that require repairs are mostly Dell, a few HPs, and Toshiba.

Based on specs and performance along with serious benchmarking, I'm a fan of ACER and ASUS when it comes to laptops. Both tend to use higher end components to push performance more so than Dell and HP. This ASUS has some decent specs (good price too) and would do what you need it to (though you still need to buy Office). Here's another that packs a little more punch than the first one I listed (also within your price range).

For what you described as requirements, I would steer clear of a Chromebook. They typically have lower end components that don't have much processing power so they can keep the cost down. They are ok for internet and email but struggle with complex applications and multimedia playback. The interface can be a bit quirky too if you are used to a Windows operating environment.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

CNET or Newegg reviews would be the second place I'd look.
+1 along with Amazon as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay knight1fox3 or some other local geek to build your laptop for you. Just give the price range and let him recommend the chassis. Once you settle on that then you can pick your processor, ram, hard disk, optical drives and ammenities. I've owned several laptops both personal and ones work has dumped on me. 6 years later the ones I built are still running fine, the pre-bought ones have long since been shipped to the land fill. Picking the right components and a little TLC at the time of assembly goes a long way to getting your money's worth.

Stay away from Dell and Windows 8. My son bought a XPS8500 and it has been a nightmare. The tech was supposed to come home today to fix that POS. When he got the computer they sent the wrong adapter for the video card, then it worked once and Windows 8 messed up the configuration and went on an endless loop. The computer is not able to boot because cannot recognize the hard drive. They sent a CD with a "fix" and did not work.

I asked my son to tell the tech that if the computer does not work TODAY, he can take it with him and that he wants his money back.

^ Windows 8 IMO is designed to operate with tablets and smart phones alike. If you don't have a touch screen, it can be quite a pain to navigate through. Any home desktop or laptop PC users would do well to steer clear of Win8 and stick with Win7. :thumbs:

^ This....

Win 8 is a good idea in concept (one OS to rule them all (PCs, tablets, phones,etc), but lacks one very important feature.... the ability to opt-OUT of the Metro interface and get a normal desktop (with start button that functions like windows has for the last almost 20 yrs)... Apparently 3rd party software and some "scary" registry hacks are the only way to get a start button... Microsoft went to great lengths to remove the code for the start button and replace it with the Metro interface, a simple toggle switch would've been much preferred in my eyes... I'm willing to try and adapt to "tiles" and app-like behavior.... but the 50+ aged user base is screaming... I haven't used Win 8 for more than a few hours, but something that drastic of a change, really should be an opt-in... esp. since it intended to be a touch-based OS...

they wanted to leave room for win 8.1...the desktop edition after people have spent hundred on the win 8 version

Staples usually has some very good sales this time of year. I got a couple of HPs last year for the office. I think it was less than $600 (ea) for a 17" screen, Core i5, 500gb hard drive, plenty of USBs, & HDMI. They run CAD and Office very fast.

Awesome response guys and gals! Once again the quality of discussion is way better than face book could ever hope to offer!

Not sure I know which brand to choose now after the decisive for and againts statements but I feel better armed to make a more educated decision. Good call on the multiple USB ports.

I like the hp at the link and will run this by the Mrs. Can someone provide the info again on how to give EB credit for ordering through amazon? (I can't remember where I saw it mentioned...)

Thanks again!

Back