Oct 2012 PE Exam (How did you do?)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigwiggz

Reaction score
Hello Guys, If you took the October 2012 PE/SE, How did you think you did? Is there anyone from SC that took the exam and think they did not pass? If so I will probably see you next year.

I took the PE Power. I thought I did alright. Now this is the hard part waiting to see if you passed or not.

A Slater.... I think I know that guy.

Took PE Power as well. I think I did pretty well. It seemed to not have an equal balance of problem types.

very few lighting and econ problems.

The sample exams I took had about 75% work (calculation) problems with 25% word (theory) problems.

The actual exam seemed to have an equal balance of word to work problems, 50/50

I did took the PE Power too and I think it was not as demanding as I expected it to be. One mental note in case I have to do it again,...make sure you know the concepts (not just the formulas).

With Seismic and Surveying exam being computerized, does it make wait time for Civil PE results Shorter for California?

I took the civil water resources/environmental exam in Louisiana. I must admit, the morning was surprisingly brutal.

I talked with a buddy of mine and he says it wasn't bad at all lol. I still felt ok about the test until I ran across this site yesterday and saw where some folks in April got as high as 54/80 and did not pass. Obviously a true 70% is 56/80 but I thought it was general rule of thumb that a score between 48-52 was passing. That's scary lol

Bhook20 I took the geotech and I used rhe same word to describe the morning's portion brutal. I took it once before in April and it was not as bad as this times morning. I came out and one guy was saying it wasn't that bad. I hope he was mechanical. I am not feeling great about it.

Bhook20 I took the geotech and I used rhe same word to describe the morning's portion brutal. I took it once before in April and it was not as bad as this times morning. I came out and one guy was saying it wasn't that bad. I hope he was mechanical. I am not feeling great about it.
Great to know I wasn't alone. Good to you and everyone else.

Just took the Mechanical w/Materials and Mech. Systems exam in Puyallup, WA. Kind of wish I'd found this site before hand. Anyway I think I did reasonably well. Now comes the waiting.

I took the FE last April. Overall I'd say the FE seemed harder, if only because of all the power cycle problems. Was very happy not to see any of those on the PE. Still, not an easy test given the time constraints.

I took the PE / Electrical w/ Power in Puyallup. I did better on the morning then the afternoon. I feel good about the testing, but now I have to wait to be sure.

I took the PE Civil and was my second attempt, having previously taken it in April. I felt the AM was more in depth than the AM in April, although I studied much more in depth for this exam and felt I was able to field the questions asked. When I was going through the AM answering some of the questions, I was saying to myself at the time of the exam that the majority of people in here are probably struggling with these questions.

I mentioned I took it in April, however I did not pass. I believe I did not pass because I was not fully prepared for the exam even though I started to prepare 4 months out. Regardless of not passing, I had 4 months of knowledge and preparation under my belt, and for the Oct Exam, I just kept building upon what I've already learned. Thankfully, I took my studying to another dimension this time around, because if I hadn't, I think I would be going back in April 2013. Fortunately, I don't think this will be the case (nothing's guaranteed of coarse).

To those of you who are going to attempt this exam, my advise is to take it seriously because your're not going to SWAG your way into a passing score. (there's always those few who do of coarse)

now lets wait!

I took the civil water resources/environmental exam in Louisiana. I must admit, the morning was surprisingly brutal.

I talked with a buddy of mine and he says it wasn't bad at all lol. I still felt ok about the test until I ran across this site yesterday and saw where some folks in April got as high as 54/80 and did not pass. Obviously a true 70% is 56/80 but I thought it was general rule of thumb that a score between 48-52 was passing. That's scary lol
I took the Civil - WR/Env as well and agree that the morning session was tougher than expected, particularly the geotech and structural portions. Even some of the water resources questions seemed more appropriate for the afternoon session.

In contrast I didn't think the afternoon WR/Env session was that bad at all, finished with about 45 minutes to spare. Essentially there were a bunch that I was certain to near-certain I got right; as for the ones I was unsure on, no amount of number re-crunching or sifting through my references was going to get me any further. Hopefully I stole a couple by narrowing it down to 2 possible answers.

I did took the PE Power too and I think it was not as demanding as I expected it to be. One mental note in case I have to do it again,...make sure you know the concepts (not just the formulas).
Seeing as the exam is open book I'd say knowing the concepts is far more important than knowing the formulas off hand.

A Slater.... I think I know that guy.

Took PE Power as well. I think I did pretty well. It seemed to not have an equal balance of problem types.

very few lighting and econ problems.

The sample exams I took had about 75% work (calculation) problems with 25% word (theory) problems.

The actual exam seemed to have an equal balance of word to work problems, 50/50
This would be my response almost exactly. Only one econ and one lighting problem that I recall. Luckily the word problems didn't seem too hard. I actually enjoyed myself on the morning part, if that's encouraging to any future examinees! I'll get back to you late December to relay whether my enjoyment gets squashed by bad news :censored:

I took power as well. I felt the test was hard. As some of my colleagues said right afterwards "That was a TEST." Like everyone said, there were more conceptual questions than I expected. I wanted to get a bunch of easy econ questions, but no...I'm very glad I borrowed a Schaum's machines book for the test! Also, I had to learn more about relays DURING the test to solve some of those problems. I mean, good thing I had some reference material on it, but sheesh man, I wish I'd fully learned that stuff properly before going into that exam! Also, I would've benefitted from bringing more practical reference material (equipment catalogs, cutsheets, etc). I felt like I prepared the most I could have, yet I'm really on the fence about it. We. Shall. See...

I love the town names in western WA. Puyallup, Snoqualmie, Sammamish, Issaquah, etc.
How about my town, Fall City.. lol.

I agree with the machines book. Dang I don't think mine was that good. It took "Electric Drives" by Mohan with an incorrect assumption that there probably wasn't much they could ask about machines that wasn't already on the sample exams. Holy crap was I wrong. I am kicking myself for not bringing my "Electromechanical Energy Devices and Power Systems" book. I straight machines book would have been even better. Probably going to need to invest in one of those.. well, depending upon the results. Even with that said, I still think I did pretty good.

I took the Civil Construction depth PE in Colorado. The morning was not too bad, but I did have work until the last minute trying to get as many problems correct as possible. The afternoon was difficult with a few common sense or experience related problems thrown in there. I feel that I have a good chance to pass, but you never know. I guess I'll just sit back a wait until NCEES sends the email out second week of December. If I fail, then I will immediately begin studding for the April exam. After seeing the exam for the first time last Friday, I feel that the difficulty is not out of reach for me so I'll continue to grind it out until I pass the darn thing.

Back