IL Changing restrictions for PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffteya4

Reaction score
You WILL be allowed to use 3 ring binders, solutions manuals, and NCEES material during the PE test starting Fall 2012. Confirmed by continental testing Carrie Penney.

Exam Contact Name: Carrie Penney Email: [email protected] Email Us Phone: (708) 354-9911 Ext: 124

not yet. NCEES has not updated it yet. But you can call Carrie to be sure if you want. I even told her i wanted it in writing in case I get there and they go back on it I can contact a lawyer.

YOu might want to double check with the state board...CTS just administers the test for the state...the board has the final say on all matters. SInce they just updated that information at the end of 2011 it seems odd they would change again so soon.

http://www.idfpr.com/Renewals/apply/FORMS/PE_SPEC_Exam.pdf

Apparently the changes have been finally posted to the IDFPR website. They removed all mention of excluded materials that can be brought into the exam. In the april 2012 References, Materials and Procedures for the Illinois Professional Engineering Examinations, NCEES soltions, Lindenberg problems, etc. were listed an unapproved solutions. I was told by Carrie Penny that IDPFR is implementing the NCEES testing standards this fall which are way less stringent than years before in Illinois. I guess this is a plus!

Anyone else have any insight to add?

That is a big plus indeed. Thank God i didnt take it IL....their restrictions were insane compared to other states.

I would like to address a few misconceptions posted here.

"...CTS just administers the test for the state...the board has the final say on all matters. SInce they just updated that information at the end of 2011 it seems odd they would change again so soon."

That is not entirely true. CTS has a responsibility to uphold the rules governed by NCEES, but can impart more strict regulations if it deems necessary. NCEES can only audit a consulting proctor to make sure THEIR rules are being abided by. Going any further is not any of their business, nor their concern. Continental testing services, (according to a rep I talked to) opted to go with NCEES regulations due in part to declining numbers of IL residents taking the Exam in IL.

"It really wasn't as big a deal as people make it out to be."

That may very well be YOUR opinion, but as we learned in school, everyone has their own learning style that best fits their needs. If you or someone you know passed the IL PE Exam, then congratulations.

CTS is merely the testing service the state of IL has a contract with to administer all of their testing needs, whether PE, FE,etc or even just for state employment. It is the state board that makes the decisions end of story. For what its worth, The state board just posted this week the minutes of the last several meetings...which is where that decision was made...not by CTS.

everyone always seems to think open book = good news, i think the more materials you are allowed to bring in the harder the test will be! i'd be scared!

Back