Which state needs least years of experiences with bachelor degree?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romdrv56

Reaction score
TX 4 years with BS - PE

does anyone know any state needs less than 4 years?

what is your intent...wanting the license early or just to take the test?

You just need to be mindful of the states that you might want to get licenses in the future...some don't allow the test before experience is gained. In Illinois you can take the test anytime but the license does get approved until you provide proof of needed experience.

In CA you need 72 months of experience but a BS in CE can count as 48 of your 72, meaning you only need 24 months experience after BS. But... we have the additional Seismic and Survey exams to pass.

I think in CA you need 2 years design experience after you graduated from college (ABET) or 1 year experience if you also have your master degree(full time).

I think I saw somewhere that you only need 1 year design experience if you take in Washington,DC. but it is long long time ago and you need to full working in Washington, DC.....(better ask the board before you apply)

BY THE WAY...THIS IS ONLY FOR THE PE EXAM...FE EXAM YOU CAN TAKE DURING YOUR JUNIOR OR SENIOR YEAR IN THE UNIVERSITY(NEW YORK)

You would also need to be mindful for reciprocity. States may not grant you a license, or give you trouble, if you get a license too early.

Probably best to wait 4 years.

You would also need to be mindful for reciprocity. States may not grant you a license, or give you trouble, if you get a license too early.

Do you have any experience/proof of this or is it just your opinion?

Certainly, you should contact your state licensing board before taking the exam but I disagree wholeheartedly with the previous poster: take the exam as soon as you can even if you need more work experience before your state can license you. Taking it straight out of college or grad school can be very beneficial for the following reasons:

1) The material is still fresh in your head. While hands-on experience will obviously help you with certain parts of the exam you might never encounter certain topics on the exam ever again after school (at least that has been the case for me in enviro field until now).

2) If you still have not landed a job after school use the time to study and prepare for the exam.

3) You don't know where you will be in four years - you might be married with 2 kids and with a third on the way. Studying will have to take a back seat to changing diapers and 3am feedings.

However, I can't speak for myself, because I only just took the enviro exam in October 2012 and although I took it right out of grad school I also had 3 years of experience. My 3 years experience did not help me much on the exam but almost everything I learned in grad school was on the exam (plus other material unfortunately that I never learned in school or on the job).

Do you have any experience/proof of this or is it just your opinion?
There are multiple documented cases here on eb.com...

Back