Fall 2012 Thermal Fluids Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffteya4

Reaction score
The name's Steve

Starting a thread to ID which users are taking this exam. Who will I be talking to over the next few months? :)

I will be taking the 2012 Thermal Fluids exam on October 27th 2012 in Carbondale IL.

MY Stuff:

MERM Study Guide

MERM Sample Problems

MERM Formula Sheets for Study Guide

Crane TP 410'

NCEES Thermal Fluids Practice Exam

Cameron Hydraulic Book

Uglys Electrical References

Bible (for spiritual and emotional support! lol!)

I will not be purchasing the 6MS for Thermal Fluids after hearing most of the horror stories from others.

I'd strongly recommend:

- a units convertion book

- ASME steam tables (I prefer them over Mollier diagrams, but you will want something more than what's in the MERM)

Good Luck!

I'll be taking the MechSystems test, but I'm sure we'll talk about the common stuff anyway!

MERM - Manual and sample problems

Shigley's

NCEES 2008 sample exam

Lindeburg's unit conversions

Keenan steam tables

Keenan gas tables (have it, but probably won't use it)

Steve as a heads up in IL you can not take any solution manuals into the test.

I just passed the T/F exam in IL this April and only needed the MERM, my college Thermodynamics book and the ASME Steam tables book.

IL is one of the most strict states, when it comes to the test. Just know where equations are in the MERM and understand the charts both in the chapters and appendix for the fluids, thermo systems, and heat transfer sections.

Hope this help in any way and good luck in October.

Wait, so what on my list can I not take? I was under the impression, after talking with NCEES, that everything I Have is ok?

The name's Steve

Starting a thread to ID which users are taking this exam. Who will I be talking to over the next few months? :)

I will be taking the 2012 Thermal Fluids exam on October 27th 2012 in Carbondale IL.

MY Stuff:

MERM Study Guide

MERM Sample Problems

MERM Formula Sheets for Study Guide not sure what these are but sounds like loose papers of sorts

Crane TP 410'

NCEES Thermal Fluids Practice Exam

Cameron Hydraulic Book

Uglys Electrical References

Bible (for spiritual and emotional support! lol!)

I will not be purchasing the 6MS for Thermal Fluids after hearing most of the horror stories from others.
put lines through the things you will not be able to take in the room with you.

I have been studying for the past three months and making a system of 3 ring binders with completed solutions for the upcoming test. This is going to be devestating if I cannot take this stuff into the exam. I wonder if it is too late to switch to MO...

For TF, just bring the MERM, Quick reference, and asme steam table. And practice solve the Lindberg 500 probs, ncees tf, and 6 Sms. You will be fine. No need to bring the cameron, ugly, and the cute.

Just an advise, the proctors are checking what is written in your binders during actual exam and they are very familiar on what is seems to be a solution and what is not. It's better not to bring any page with completed solution in your binder to prevent career devastation and lawsuit.

Hello everyone!

Taking the T/F option in Oct as well.

What chapters from MERM do you reommend for reviewing Mechanical Systems & materials (for the morning)?

Thanks.

"Just an advise, the proctors are checking what is written in your binders during actual exam and they are very familiar on what is seems to be a solution and what is not. It's better not to bring any page with completed solution in your binder to prevent career devastation and lawsuit."

Your point is taken. I am not worried about "career devastation and lawsuit"

I'll be switching to MO to take the test in April.

Hello everyone!

Taking the T/F option in Oct as well.

What chapters from MERM do you reommend for reviewing Mechanical Systems & materials (for the morning)?

Thanks.
It's probably best to go through all chapters after 13. You should be able to figure out what material is more advanced or specific to mechanical systems and gloss over that part.

Johnny!

I ordered both of the texts you recommended. I read the reviews and they looked stellar, thanks so much for your information!

Steve

These are the list approved in MO. MERM, 3 ring binder, steam tables, marks handbooks, Lindbergs problem books, 6 sms, except ncees sample problems can be taken inside the exam room and can be used as reference during exam.

You WILL be allowed to use 3 ring binders, solutions manuals, and NCEES material during the PE test starting Fall 2012. Confirmed by continental testing Carrie Penney.

Continental Testing is adopting NCEES standards.

Exam Contact Name: Carrie Penney Email: [email protected] Email Us Phone: (708) 354-9911 Ext: 124

I'm taking this test as well. Ben study for the last 8 weeks. I have been working problems nightly. One of the biggest suggestions I have heard is to make sure you cover the HVAC depth well as almost all of HVAC is T/F, so you wil see lots of it. I "may" know some people that took it in April and it was covered heavily. If you have one, it may not be a bad idea to bring in the ASHRAE fundamentals book.

I also did problems from my old university texts. The exam is very similar to the NCEES sample exams. But, I liked studying the longer problems since they forced you to learn all the parts of the system and all the assumptions that come with it, which made you even more prepared on test day.

Good luck.

Back