Licensed or Registered

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calypso699

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm going to order my stamp and I have the option of using either "licensed" or "registered" before Professional Engineer. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Also, I don't have to put an expiration date here in California, bu should I have them put a line so I can write it in? Thanks!

"Licensed" is required in Idaho...I think the trend is towards "Licensed" versus "Registered".

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm going to order my stamp and I have the option of using either "licensed" or "registered" before Professional Engineer. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Also, I don't have to put an expiration date here in California, bu should I have them put a line so I can write it in? Thanks!
In CA, I have never seen anything but RPE on stamps. This same discussion came up 6 months ago when some of us Oct '11 passers were ordering our stamps. I went with RPE and a few guys decided to order LPE, but guess what? Their stamps arrived as RPE. I think RPE is the standard for CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Well, the board rules allow us to use either one so I think I'll go with licensed. To me, it sounds better than registered and implies that I actually had to pass a test as opposed to simply registering for something. I hope they don't mess up and send me registered though...

Registered isn't used much these days. I believe the change came about when most states started requiring professional development hours. Engineers who were registered with the respective state prior to whatever year was chosen (say 1990), could stay registered as professional engineers without the need for continuing education/PDH's. Engineers who received a PE after that date were licensed and had to meet additional requirements (continuing education) to renew their license so they become licensed PE's with the state instead of being registered as being a PE.

Thanks guys. Well, the board rules allow us to use either one so I think I'll go with licensed. To me, it sounds better than registered and implies that I actually had to pass a test as opposed to simply registering for something. I hope they don't mess up and send me registered though...
caly,

Just curious, where do you see in the CA board rules that Registered or Licensed is allowed? I see this in the Professional Engineer's Act, which just mentions 'Professional Engineer' - nothing about Licensed or Registered. Did you order your stamp - did you go with LPE?

6764. Seal or stamp

Each professional engineer licensed under this chapter shall, upon licensure, obtain a seal or stamp of a design authorized by the board bearing the licensee’s name, number of his or her certificate or authority, the legend "professional engineer" and the designation of the particular branch or authority in which he or she is licensed.

Last edited by a moderator:
ptatohed, I believe calypso699 is referring to CCR, Title 16, Division 5, Section 411 (Board Rules)

ptatohed, I believe calypso699 is referring to CCR, Title 16, Division 5, Section 411 (Board Rules)

Ahhh.... I see. Thanks for the reply.

411. Seal and Signature.

(a) The seal required by Section 6764 of the Code shall be not less than one and one-half (1½) inches in diameter and shall contain the following information:

(1) Within the top border of seal: Either "Professional Engineer," "Registered Professional Engineer," or "Licensed Professional Engineer."

Yup, that's the section I was referring to. Thanks for answering the question on my behalf. I ended up ordering a stamp with licensed on it because I thought it sounded better than registered.

Back