Named used on your license/seal?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psb139

Reaction score
When I applied for the PE and subsuquently passed in PA, my name used was my first, middle, and last name. This is how it appears on my license. Is there any reason to think I can't use my middle initial only with my name on my seal? I feel like using the full name is a bit much for the seal, but I don't want to go against what we are supposed to do.

I had the same question in TN. My name is so long it would look ridiculous if everything was on the seal. They told me that the middle initial is OK.

When I applied for the PE and subsuquently passed in PA, my name used was my first, middle, and last name. This is how it appears on my license. Is there any reason to think I can't use my middle initial only with my name on my seal? I feel like using the full name is a bit much for the seal, but I don't want to go against what we are supposed to do.
I used my middle initial on both the stamp and seal. Unless they give us something bigger than the 1.75" circle, most full names won't fit in that space. I should have mine arrive tomorrow. I can't wait :D

I would imagine the important part is the licensing number. Effectively you shouldnt even need a name but its nice to have the name out there

It is a board by board decision. In Alaska, you are permitted to sign with your middle initial only if the full name is shown in the stamp. They use the original application to determine how your stamp and license will read.

The reason your name is on the seal as well is to help control who signs the document. Case in point for having the name on the stamp as well, a large package (50+ sheets) where you are sign every sheet. Having the name on the seal will quickly indicate that you are still in your particular drawings and someone elses didn't get slipped in there and you don't sign the wrong seal. There are times where multiple disciplines sign the same sheet for different items on the sheet and having multiple stamps with only numbers can get confusing.

Yes, I do agree that the signer should be checking over the document closely; but you may have just reviewed the sheets in preliminary status (or half size) and had them printed full size, so all you need to do is sign. One might not take the appropriate time to recheck every drawing (I've seen this done multiple times with mechanical sheets in various companies).

My certificate is Full First (Joshua, not Josh), Full Middle, Last and my stamp is Full First, Middle Initial, Last. California.

Back