Similarity Between FE/EIT Afternoon Session Questions And PE Exam Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragak1981

Reaction score
Hi,

I was curious for some advice from those who have taken the test. How similar are the questions on the Chemical PE exam to the type that were in the afternoon session for the chemical FE/EIT exam? I found the afternoon questions on the FE/EIT to be very manageable and was wondering if on the PE exam they are similar in style.

Any help or advice would help. Thanks!

PE afternoon questions focus on depth in the subject and are allotted 6 min for each. so to answer your question they are longer and involve several steps as opposed to FE exam which involves one or two steps at the most. PE exam is divided into breadth in the AM and depth in the PM sessions.

I thought the FE was more difficult than the PE. The PE problems are longer/more complex but independent. Whereas with the FE they are 4-5 part problems that if you can't solve a or b then you can't answer c-d.

I took the Chem PE in April, and I didn't quite get that the morning was "breadth" and the afternoon was "depth" for my exam. Rather, for that exam I saw that some topics were concentrated in the morning and others in the afternoon. It was actually helpful in that I used some references more in the morning and others more in the afternoon (less switching around).

Perhaps chemicalpe is referring to the knowledge questions being in the afternoon: those questions for which you don't compute anything, you just have to know the answer or find it in a reference. I found that to be the case in both the two most recent NCEES practice exams. Those can be tough if you aren't familiar with a specific topic the exam asks about.

I really thought the PE was harder. The most obvious way to see if you feel the same is to get a practice exam from NCEES. I personally recommend to take it at the beginning of your studies to gauge where you are weak/strong. Happy to help more if I can.

Back