PM exam Chemical Engineering versus "other" engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sid2587

Reaction score
I am taking the FE exam in October, I am debating whether to choose Chemical Engineering as my PM exam or choose "other" engineering. The prep book I have by Michael Lindeburg covers stuff for other engineering, and in my opinion doing other engineering will have a broader and general application.

Just because I have a degree in Chemical engineering, as it turns out, does not mean I'll end up in this field. I am working as a biomedical/mechanical engineer right now, go figure.

I want to hear people's thought on this. Thanks for your opinion!

i am chemical by education working in the environmental world. I took the FE while still in school so I took the chemical afternoon section instead of the general. My reasons were that I already had to reteach myself the physics stuff, there was some other branches of engineering that I never learned as a chemical, so my fate rested better in the fact i would be graded against other chemical people and not the other branches of engineering that would do way better than myself on those other sections.

I also took the chemical PE exam even though I worked in the environmental world for similar reasons. I didn't have the environmental education so I would have to teach myself more than just refreshing the chemical knowledge.

Having said that, for the FE discipline really doesn't matter in the bigger picture. However for the PE, depending on the state you want to be licensed in might be more specific. In IL it is a general License where you can stamp based on knowledge area vs other states that discipline specific..,civil test = civil license you can only stamp civil stuff.

It all depends on how far you have been away from school. The longer you have been out of school, its worth going for general in the PM session which I did because I was out of school for almost 5 years. Its not tough either way but since you study for general subjects in the morning, all you have to do is put in little extra effort for the PM session. If you pick Chemical in the PM session you will have lot of things to work on because most of the topics wont be covered in the morning session but it will help you in the long run for PE. Again, its your choice but if you ask my advise I would go for general and not worry about PE at the moment. Once you pass FE, start preparing it with fundamentals. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took F.E. Chemical. It worked fine for me. I've been away more than 12 years from my Bachelors. I chose Chemical in the afternoon session because I thought General is a very vast area and you don't know which one would appear in the test. I dont think though that taking F.E. Chemical would help ia lot in the P.E. exam because the problems in the P.E. are harder, I hope this helps...

Back