OH PE Requirements and Comity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Reaction score
Simple question about a Comity Application in Ohio.

I am currently a registered PE in good standing in PA, with a 4-yr civil engineering technology degree and seeking comity in Ohio. Ohio regs state 8 years experience (two could be taken prior to graduation i.e. a co-op) is required between FE and PE with a 4-yr ABET Eng Tech degree. I took my FE and PE in Pennsylvania, and had 4 years experience, per the PA regs. Ohio will not grant comity, due to their experience requirement between the two tests. As of my time of application to Ohio, I would have had 10 years experience, though the last 6 were as a PE in Pennsylvania.

Obviously, state by state requirements are different but has anyone had something similar occur? The clerk (not the Board members) claims my only option is to retake the NCEES PE exam AGAIN as then I would have experience between my FE and (second) PE exam.

Thanks for any input

Brian

I believe that you are misinterpreting the rules. You dont need 8 years in Ohio, UNLESS you did not graduate from an ABET Engineering program with a 4-year degree in engineering. Ohio is one of the unique states that allows someone with 8 years experience without an engineering degree to take the PE.

Yes - PA accepts the 4-yr degree, as long as its ABET. As for the 2-yr, I think it's 8 years, but I haven't looks at the regs lately.

I think a clerk at the OH PEPS office reviewed my app, and it actually didn't go to the Board for review. I'm writing an appeal letter now and I will claim 6 years after my PE as additonal experience, as my supervisors were all PEs. I think its BS to take the test again as the clerk tells me I have too. I aced it before, and I'll ace it again. I could see if OH had specific requirements like siesmic, but to take the whole thing again, just because the timeline is off? Ridiculous.

Brian

Back