Exam thoughts from April - Retaking in Oct

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elminses

Reaction score
Due to some unforeseen personal issues my studying schedule was interrupted and was incomplete this spring. I going to start sooner this time around to make sure I can account for any similar problems as well as take the exam outside of IL and their stupid rules!

I used the Spin up book, worked all exams. Used the NCEES sample problems. Had some $$ limits this spring so I used a few Power text books from college, nec 2011 from work, and a few Printed handmade notebooks (rejected at the door).

From my experience this April, the actual exam questions weren't worded as clear as the spin-up problems, I had a hard time on a few problems figuring out exactly what they were looking for, any pointers at becoming better at determining the "proper" items to solve for would be helpful.

Being that my notebooks weren't allowed, some terms and definitions that I'm not too familiar with I couldn't look up in my reference material. Is there any reference material that would better cover Power terms, preferably with a short pharagraph summary? Hopefully looking for something that isn't a textbook as they aren't geared or written for the PE exam and get way to lengthy before getting to the actual "definition".

outside of the Spin-up exams and the Ncees exams, are there any other sample exams that people feel match the question style of the exam better?

If anyone has any non-copyrighted notes, PDFs, or cheat sheets they made that assisted them in studying and used on the exam I'd be most appreciative for this assistance!

Michael R. Lindeburg PE reference manual for the test you are looking to take. Yes IL has some weird rules what is and isn't allowed in the exam room but they are listed at the board's website.

what other weird rules are you refering?

I transitioned jobs between IL to WI, came back to IL to take the exam because I was living there when I register in Jan. Studied with all WI takers prior to the exam. I looked up the IL rules and I thought they just said no hand written notes, So I typed everything I needed that I couldn't find in a book at my disposal (short on cash from moving and job transfer). Unfortunately I was relying on that information too much and I was denied the use of that book.

start with NCEES sample test-know the question formats/types you will see in the real test and work on your weak parts accordingly.

Work on your speed.

I failed. But I got 90% of my true attempts correct. I lacked speed and didnt get time to even read the questions in the end...

Back