Lets talk about post PE raises (esp. in michigan!)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseyLouWho

Reaction score
Okay! We've passed! Now what happens?

I see there's a forum for 2011 raises, but lets just assume the economy is better...feel free to copy items 1-5 for yourself! I'd love to see how i fit into this pay scale!!

1) years as an engineer? 6

2) State of employment: Michigan

3) special certs/licenses: PE, stormwater operator by DEQ, soil erosion & sedimentation control by DEQ, Density inspector and technician by MDOT, aggregate technician by MDOT, concrete technician and inspector by MDOT/PCA, Qualified team leader and bridge inspector by FHWA

4) special skills: design, spreadsheet guru, quantity calcs, materials/geotech/construction oversight background prior to employment in the structures and construction unit; Microstation v8 and v8i.

5) Hrly rate and yearly bonuses: $26.40/hr and about $1500 (so now that i have my PE what am i worth????!!!!)

It would be really helpful to get input from people familiar with pay rates in Michigan (or in surrounding states with similar economies!)

I think a lot depends on where you are in Michigan and who you work for. I am in Michigan as well. The call for civil engineers is not fantastic right now. I know at my compnay we have hired a couple on contract and pay them very little even though they have tons of experience and are licensed. The transportation focus may help you, though.

I just found out I passed as well and inquired about a raise and was denied completely. I've found that my performance at my job does better at getting me raises than my licenses or certifications.

I see there's a forum for 2011 raises, but lets just assume the economy is better...feel free to copy items 1-5 for yourself! I'd love to see how i fit into this pay scale!!

3) special certs/licenses: PE, stormwater operator by DEQ, soil erosion & sedimentation control by DEQ, Density inspector and technician by MDOT, aggregate technician by MDOT, concrete technician and inspector by MDOT/PCA, Qualified team leader and bridge inspector by FHWA

4) special skills: design, spreadsheet guru, quantity calcs, materials/geotech/construction oversight background prior to employment in the structures and construction unit; Microstation v8 and v8i.

5) Hrly rate and yearly bonuses: $26.40/hr and about $1500 (so now that i have my PE what am i worth????!!!!)

It would be really helpful to get input from people familiar with pay rates in Michigan (or in surrounding states with similar economies!)
Are you a state employee or private sector? 52K a year sounds pretty light for a PE in the private sector. I was hired our of college as an EIT for around that, but was that job was in Maryland.

Check out NSPE salary calculator ... that will give you a good gauge on your region and level of experience.

I also live in MI. I'm an ME with design and stress analysis experience. I work in the auto industry right now where a PE license is not a requirement so I'm not expecting any raise. My BS is in ME but I have a MS in CE with a concentration in structural engineering. Now that I have my PE do you think it'd be possible for me to get into a structural firm? I applied after I graduated with my MS but wasn't even an EIT at the time.

Are you a state employee or private sector? 52K a year sounds pretty light for a PE in the private sector. I was hired our of college as an EIT for around that, but was that job was in Maryland.

Check out NSPE salary calculator ... that will give you a good gauge on your region and level of experience.
Well i looked into it. Boy was that a kick in the pants. It seems a little misleading though in the sense that they have Chicago, Illinois and Michigan lumped together when the cost of living in Chicago is more than it is anywhere in Michigan.. but still. I'm far far underpaid for my qualifications. NSPE considers me a Engineer IV and my company places me as an Engineer III in the 25th percentile for both pay and bonuses. Kind of hard to read that when you're being told that you're so important and a team player. Makes me want to be a little stingier with my weekends. :(

$10 hour underpaid and maybe even more depending on your benefits for Michigan. Even county and state employees would get in the 70's with good benefits at that level. I'd start looking for a new job.

I also live in MI. I'm an ME with design and stress analysis experience. I work in the auto industry right now where a PE license is not a requirement so I'm not expecting any raise. My BS is in ME but I have a MS in CE with a concentration in structural engineering. Now that I have my PE do you think it'd be possible for me to get into a structural firm? I applied after I graduated with my MS but wasn't even an EIT at the time.

I would think it's possible but I would also think that a Civil Structural firm might prefer a Civil PE especially if the state is specific about the discipline of engineer signing and sealing documents. A mechanical structural firm might be a greater possiblilty.

^ Thanks for the input. I know with my experience I wouldn't be able to sign off on structural/civil documents but I was thinking the PE would help me get in the door. Then I could gain some civil structural experience. Not sure if I'll try to go this route but just a thought.

Kind of off topic, but I was wondering if anyone has recently filled out or is in the process of filling out the MI PE application?

Wow, I'm sorry.

Down south our engineer ratings are a little different, we just have Engineers 1 through 3. You're salary is under what ours is for an Engineer I with a 2-3 years experience (usually around 58-60K per year) and we're in the public sector (no bonuses, but no weekends either). You're experience should class you as a 2 down here with a salary in the mid to high 60's (our cost of living is fairly low). I have friends in the private sector and the upper sixties seems to be where they're at with similar qualifications as you.

I also asked for a raise and was denied, did anybody's company pay for their PE registration fees, books, or classes? Trying to see what the norm is. It's looking like my company doesn't want to support us for any of this even though it was basically written in our evaluations as a goal. Even without support I would have still pursued the PE since I can take it away with me, but it's just nice to know when a company you work for supports your professional development. I would definitely want to stay with a company longer that supports its employees.

I was fortunate enough that I did get reimbursed for my expenses. I went back on forth whether i was going to expense it....but finally some factors made me choose to. It was offered so hey, why not take it.

I just didnt want them thinking I owe them something. Being an On Staff PE for my employer is a big thing to them and therefore assume that I will be compensated accordingly. We'll see there are various things at play but within 6 months I should know. I dont fear in asking my worth. I feel to all of you that seem to be 'stuck' in a position where they want you to have a PE but dont want to pay the price for it. Each situation is definitly different though. Got to weigh it all and whats important to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for an smallish MEP consulting firm as the only other electrical PE (my boss) the other. I have 3 years MEP experience.

My company paid for everything involved with the test, paid for the day off, NCEES registration, the whole shabang.

I got a 5% raise after getting my license.

I would not be to concerned with getting a specific percent raise, but more a specific hourly rate, if the firm bills you out at a higher rate after getting your PE. It would only make sense that your pay increase otherwise they are taking the benefit of your PE to help the company make money by billing you out higher but not passing any on to you. Just my thoughts.

Something that I posted within the earlier link that bears repeating

Lets play devils advocate:

It all depends on what you bring to the table for your employer. If your day to day tasks do not change after you get the PE, why should they pay you more? I understand you may be worth more to a new employer, but I dont think company A should pay you more just because company B will, especially if you dont bring anything new to the table.

If you want a raise from your current employer, make yourself more valuable. Take on the responsibility of being a design lead, project manager, take a more involved role with the company. Adding 2 letters to your name is worthless if you just stay a CAD-monkey.

Also, is a PE necessary in your line of work? Some industries and employers dont want and/or require a PE. Look at construction, despite needing a civil degree to get some of the jobs, you are not required to get your PE to get promoted to superintendent or higher. My first employer (heavy highway contractor) actually discouraged engineers from getting their PE, because it would mean they would leave since the contractor let it be known they wouldnt give pay raises.

Also, what it the current state of your employer and industry? If you work for a land development consultant right now, they may be doing everything they can just to not crash. If there has been a 2+ year pay/hire freeze, how do you think the other employees would feel if you're demanding 10% or more without doing anything new for them?

The company i worked for when i got my PE wasnt able to give an immediate raise because the projects i was working on had me at a contracted EIT rate. My responsibilities didnt change, my company wasnt billing me out for any more, and was actually losing money because they had to add me to their liability insurance. When i talked with my boss after passing, he explained all of this to me and let me know that as soon as we started on a new project i would get a raise (10% raise received 3 months later).

My point: look at the whole picture before you trash your current employer. If after that you still want more (both more $ amd more responsibility), then talk with your boss and explain yourself.

I hope my post was not misunderstood, i agree with dexman 100% the working you are doing needs to be that of a PE. If you continue to draft plans in CAD with you PE there is no reason you should be paid more.

I hope my post was not misunderstood, i agree with dexman 100% the working you are doing needs to be that of a PE. If you continue to draft plans in CAD with you PE there is no reason you should be paid more.
No, it was what reminded me of my earlier post. In your case, you stated that you are in fact providing more value to your company by means of a higher billing rate to clients. If your clients are paying more for your services, by all means that higher rate should trickle down to you.

Wow, I'm sorry.

Down south our engineer ratings are a little different, we just have Engineers 1 through 3. You're salary is under what ours is for an Engineer I with a 2-3 years experience (usually around 58-60K per year) and we're in the public sector (no bonuses, but no weekends either). You're experience should class you as a 2 down here with a salary in the mid to high 60's (our cost of living is fairly low). I have friends in the private sector and the upper sixties seems to be where they're at with similar qualifications as you.

I also asked for a raise and was denied, did anybody's company pay for their PE registration fees, books, or classes? Trying to see what the norm is. It's looking like my company doesn't want to support us for any of this even though it was basically written in our evaluations as a goal. Even without support I would have still pursued the PE since I can take it away with me, but it's just nice to know when a company you work for supports your professional development. I would definitely want to stay with a company longer that supports its employees.
My company reimbursed me for registration fees, study material, and paid for my ASCE review course..... Once I get my paper work from Virginia DPOR I will get a promotion......

PE's,

After I passed my MD-PE exam I emailed my manager and COO of my company. I got congratulations email from COO and a firm handshake from my manager. BTW I work for a manufacturing company.

After I passed I was reimbursed for my PE application fee and exam fees which was around $565. My company does not have any policy for passing PE exam. My manager and management are all mum and no-one has come up with a pay raise for me. Do you guys think that I should go to my manager and ask for one or should I give him some time. I really feel embarrassed and my ego hurts to ask for a raise, I feel like I am begging. After getting my PE my ego is on ninth sky and asking for a raise from those douchebag MBA's is against my pride and prestige.

Please suggest my action plan. Should I go and ask for $$ from those spreadsheet makers.

Back