Highest Civil-Geotech Failing Score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laborndcluv

Reaction score
I don't see many people who took Civil-Geotech posting their scores. The highest failing score I've seen so far is 49/80. Did anyone get more than this and fail?? Please post XX/80. Thanks!

For Geotech and my second try, I got 53/80 and failed. My diagnostic showed that I was below the average passing examine even though I scored 75% in certain topics. Crazy...

Looking thru the other thread for fail score, the highest I saw was 54. Meaning maybe 55 or 56 was the cut off. I was 2-3 questions away from that PE email signature :(

The afternoon was nothing I prepared for. Definitions, Soil Nails/Tie Backs, etc. I bought that purple book for geotech afternoon and I was not satisfied with it.

Anyone have any recommendations for books for the afternoon portion for geotech? The Robert Day book saved me.

I thought I did rather well too, got about 27/40 for geotech afternoon.

I used the VNS murthy soil mechanics and foundation text most. Passed 1st try.

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice is to take transportation. I took Geotech a few times and failed. I took Transportation for the first time this time and passed. All I did to prepare was do the six minutes solutions for Transpo twice and the exam was very much like what i studied.

Just my two cents.

For Geotech and my second try, I got 53/80 and failed. My diagnostic showed that I was below the average passing examine even though I scored 75% in certain topics. Crazy...

Looking thru the other thread for fail score, the highest I saw was 54. Meaning maybe 55 or 56 was the cut off. I was 2-3 questions away from that PE email signature :(

The afternoon was nothing I prepared for. Definitions, Soil Nails/Tie Backs, etc. I bought that purple book for geotech afternoon and I was not satisfied with it.

Anyone have any recommendations for books for the afternoon portion for geotech? The Robert Day book saved me.

Bowles and Das...I got at least 10 questions directly out of the source material (i.e. word for word tables, definitions, ect.)...!

I know the feeling same here, I got 47/80 :( second try...

I do not know if I should keep trying on geotech, although I have to say that what I have not being able to do is because I did not study it in detail...

I definitely need to apply mysef and get this done, at least I saw a big improvement from my first time.

I have the following references:

NCEES Geotechnical Module excersice book.

Geotechnical Engineering: Principles and Practices Donald P. Coduto

Foundation Design: Principles and Practices (2nd Edition) Donald P. Coduto

CERM (Just as a last minute reference)

I am using my notes from college, also.

My worst subjects were the ones shown on the diagnostic (10-14). I am not sure if you have been studying very hard or just not enogth like me but its kind of dificult to change subjects at this point..

I would say you seem to be on the right track, and I guess I will plan next time to answer hopefully 28/40 or more if I can to see if I can pass (easier said than done)..

I have to also worry about seismic and surveying cause I am in CA. :(

GOOD LUCK NEXT TIME!!!!

I found most of the qualitative afternoon questions in the Das books. Some of the harder calculations questions, I got from my Testmasters and School of PE notes. I got my results on Friday but haven't looked yet because I'm in California and due to the huge Surveying test debacle, our Survey test was rescheduled for this week and my test is tomorrow. I didn't want to mess up my mind. If I pass, I think it will be pretty close...I'll look tomorrow.

If you want my opinion, you need to focus more on your weaknesses in the morning section. If you got 27 in the afternoon, that means you only got 26 in the morning. Generally speaking, the morning questions are much easier than afternoon questions. Even for the areas that are not within your specialty in the morning, your study time should serve you well. I can't speak from experience though as I took the Civil-Structural last April and passed on the first try. I did, however, take the official NCEES study guide and used it as a practice test without even looking at it prior. I sat down, set a time for four hours, and did the morning section. Then I took a 30-45 min break for lunch, then did the same for the afternoon section. I graded it, and got 36/40 in the morning and 32/40 in the afternoon, and only guessed on probably 5 questions total. Getting a 68/80 on this practice test only 6 days before the actual exam boosted my confidence like you would not believe!

If you want my opinion, you need to focus more on your weaknesses in the morning section. If you got 27 in the afternoon, that means you only got 26 in the morning. Generally speaking, the morning questions are much easier than afternoon questions. Even for the areas that are not within your specialty in the morning, your study time should serve you well. I can't speak from experience though as I took the Civil-Structural last April and passed on the first try. I did, however, take the official NCEES study guide and used it as a practice test without even looking at it prior. I sat down, set a time for four hours, and did the morning section. Then I took a 30-45 min break for lunch, then did the same for the afternoon section. I graded it, and got 36/40 in the morning and 32/40 in the afternoon, and only guessed on probably 5 questions total. Getting a 68/80 on this practice test only 6 days before the actual exam boosted my confidence like you would not believe!
I agree, I used my diagnostic as a tool to hone in on what I really needed to improve on and attacked those areas. The morning session to me seemed like the best way to get points because the questions are more general. The afternoon portion of the exam definiately had some tricky questions. I would def focus on the areas you did the worst on, in order to prepare for the October exam... just my two cents

Thanks for the advice guys. I realize I need to work on my morning. But on the plus side the first time I took the test I got a 44/80 so I improved by 12% to 53/80. So if I take it again with the same studying and increase another 12%, I will pass (right?!).

With all your advice, I am planning to get the Das and Bowles text for the afternoon. I already have the Coduto books and the NCEES practice exam. Looking at my diagnostic I will work on my Transpo Water and Construction for the morning. I will schedule to take a 8hour practice exam a week before hoping I do well and boost my confidence. THEN after all that and I still don't pass I will switch to Transportation afternoon LOL.

I am not quite familiar with the VNS texts, but I have heard a lot about Das (I saw him referenced in the NCEES practice exam) and Bowles. The afternoon worried me alot from the first test and I guess that reflected in the morning (could of done better) on the second test. As for Test Master Notes, I will ask around for those.

failed, 48/80. Dangit. I might be through. I have taken this stupid test way too many times. I'm tired.

Back