When Can I use PE in my signature?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree. Once you have your license/certificate, you can start using it. You will feel totally different after you start using P.E. after your name. Its a great feeling!

When you are issued a license by the state and have signed it. Just because you have passed the exam does not make you a PE. You are not a PE until the state board accepts the results and issues you a license number.

I just passed and of course I'll wait until I get my license in hand, but I thought it was interesting that my name and license number is already in the system for Texas. Results were just released yesterday

Yes, I noticed that as well. Texas grants the license number right away, but I'm not even talking to my boss untill I have something in hand.

Here's a simple answer, because I asked this to David Howell over at TBPE when I passed, he said as soon as the board grants you the license number, you can add PE to your signature. However you need to make sure you submit your paperwork showing your seal and picture within 60 days of award, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure how the other states' rules are but at least that is what I know for Texas.

2nd day after the PE result, I am on TX's PE roster with PE number. I think it is official.

For oklahoma, I had to take a engineering law exam regarding the PE laws and regulations. I submitted that this morning and got notification that I passed. They said I can use the "PE" in my signature after I receive my licensing packet, which will take 2-3 weeks.

I used my PE in the signature the very next day after getting my results (still two weeks from getting a license # in NY).

Funny thing was that I was laid off two days later, so in the grand scheme of things no one was hurt, lol.

And at least I got the message across that I was a PE before I left!!!!!!!!!

will they send us junk out now about whats the next steps in applying...i still have to wait as i took the test early, but atleast will we get info as to how to apply when the time comes for the actual license or we do we have to look into it ourselves?

I have not received my pocket card and certificate but I did get an email from the Texas board that addressed me as a P.E. and said I was licensed to practice on May 29. I still need to submit the "seal imprint and photograph submittal form". I ordered my seal today from engineerseals.com and as soon as I get it I will seal the form and email it to the board. I would just put my electronic seal on the form but the board seems pretty explicit that they want you to have a physical seal. Per the rules I cannot seal any document until the board approves my seal. Everyone I have talked to said that it takes about a day for the board to approve your seal once they have received the form.

Basically, what Eddie said above appears to be correct.

How about on a resumé? There's a job I'd like to apply for and the application deadline is coming up very soon. Can I put "Johnny123, P.E." at the top of my resume and then in the certifications section say something like P.E., Thermal & Fluids Systems, MA, License No Pending (PE Exam passed April 2012)."

I could state this info in the cover letter, but having PE right on the resumé would help it stand out.

Back