PE pass rates

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A co-worker of mine had an interesting theory:

NCEES looks more at the AM portion of the exam than the PM. Essentially, his theory is that if you get an 80% on the AM portion, it's weight carries more and you don't necessarily have to get 24 right on the PM portion. I dunno, but I think he sniffs the marker pens a little too much.

Just thought I woud share...

From NCEES:

"Your exam results are determined by the number of items you answered correctly for the exam in its entirety. There are no minimum requirements for particular sections or topics within an exam. You are not penalized for incorrect answers"

35 questions right in the morning is the same as 35 questions right in the afternoon.

From NCEES:

"Your exam results are determined by the number of items you answered correctly for the exam in its entirety. There are no minimum requirements for particular sections or topics within an exam. You are not penalized for incorrect answers"

35 questions right in the morning is the same as 35 questions right in the afternoon.
I agree.

I took a review course offered at the local Penn State campus for the Mechanical exam in PA. The instructors spent most of the class time going through NCEES practice exams from 2001, including a sample morning "breadth" section, as well as sample afternoon "depth" sections in the three mechanical disciplines. Even though I was going to take the mech. systems + materials afternoon section, I was forced to struggle through and re-learn the thermo and HVAC stuff. The idea is that being able to tackle the afternoon depth questions would give me the ability to get through anything they threw at me on the morning section.

Our instructor's goal was to get everyone in the class to a proficiency level of achieving ~35/40 (or better) in the morning section, and then we could basically bomb the afternoon section and still pass the test. This was counter-intuitive to me, maybe on a moral level, because I thought "if I'm going to be an expert in machine design, then I should ace the afternoon machine design section". But at the end of the day, there is only one goal......PASS THE TEST.

Back