HELP - Test question with no answer! ERRRRRRR

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCPE

Reaction score
A 10 ft diameter pump station has a 15 minute fill time. If maximum of 3 pump starts per hour is desired, what is the minimum distance between the pump on and pump off elevations?

A. 1.6 ft

B. 2.6 ft

C. 3.6 ft

D. 4.6 ft

You need the pumping rate correct to solve??? They dont give you enough info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys - I posted this two years ago and have yet to find an answer. Anyone want to take a shot?

Guys - I posted this two years ago and have yet to find an answer. Anyone want to take a shot?
Perhaps everyone is concerned that this was a question from an actual exam you took and don't want to get in trouble. Where is this question from?

Secondly, it might help if you put it in the exam sub-forum for your discipline. This sub-forum is more for work-related questions...........

It would seem like you need a pump rate to answer. I agree.

This was from a practice test. So I am not crazy after all.

SCPE, I think you would have seen more response to this exam prep type question if you had posted in this forum. It does seem some info is missing. What is the answer and do you have the solution?

SCPE, I think you would have seen more response to this exam prep type question if you had posted in this forum. It does seem some info is missing. What is the answer and do you have the solution?

I dont the answer. Its supposed to be one of the 4 options but as others stated, it seems like its missing info.

A 10 ft diameter pump station has a 15 minute fill time. If maximum of 3 pump starts per hour is desired, what is the minimum distance between the pump on and pump off elevations?

A. 1.6 ft

B. 2.6 ft

C. 3.6 ft

D. 4.6 ft

You need the pumping rate correct to solve??? They dont give you enough info!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since they do not give a flow rate for the pump and the height of the pump station, the minimum distance for the choices given is most nearly: A. 1.6 ft.

Okay, how's this?

I don't know why I do this but I spent half my lunch hour on this.

Searched the internet and it seems that for a 10' diameter pump station, the typical pump station length/height is approx 50'. So, we need to make one assumption: h = 50'

Per this document here (seems like a nice source of info on pump station design), page 11:

Δh = V/wet pit area

Δh = (pi r2 h) / (pi r2 + 2 pi r h) = 5h / (2h + 5) = 2.4' Answer B?

In fact, if this is a correct approach, a fairly wide range of h's will still give you 2.X ft, so the problem isn't requiring you to make a completely unrealistic assumption to solve given only the diameter. What do you guys think?

Okay, how's this?

I don't know why I do this but I spent half my lunch hour on this.

Searched the internet and it seems that for a 10' diameter pump station, the typical pump station length/height is approx 50'. So, we need to make one assumption: h = 50'

Per this document here (seems like a nice source of info on pump station design), page 11:

Δh = V/wet pit area

Δh = (pi r2 h) / (pi r2 + 2 pi r h) = 5h / (2h + 5) = 2.4' Answer B?

In fact, if this is a correct approach, a fairly wide range of h's will still give you 2.X ft, so the problem isn't requiring you to make a completely unrealistic assumption to solve given only the diameter. What do you guys think?

It's been 2 weeks. Any comments on my half-baked proposed solution? :unsure:

If they gave you a height, then you would be able to solve. However, making that assumption seems odd in a problem. If this is a practice problem, I would throw it out and spend the time more wisely on problems of the same concept, but with answers.

I'm still stuck on the fact that the station takes 15 minutes to fill (assuming empty to full) but you only want to start your pumps every 20 minutes (max) Sounds like some civil engineer overseeing the completion of the project should be wearing hip waders when the station is inspected at full capacity...

And shouldn't have listened to the town mayor trying to cut cost for his constituents...

;)

Back