Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​

I loved my '96 Bronco. Bought it for $2k, sold it for $3k only 6 months later. Granted it had 230k miles and cost over $100 to fill the damn tank...

Capn, I have a 1996 Ford Bronco I'll sell you for cheap!
Yeah, but driving it back down here would double the purchase price in fuel alone. Plus, I know you guys salt the roads like they're a large order of fries. I ddi think about Broncos, they're cheap, but I'm looking for something a tad smaller and less fuelish.

You're correct on all counts. I can get about 15 mpg on the highway, maybe 10 around town. And it is quite rusty.

^Yours is a grand cherokee. Totally different vehicle.

Dex, I got my '97 Cherokee Country with 85000 miles on it for $4500 from my dad in AZ. I think it was a reasonable deal.

I apologize all high and mighty owner of awesome vehicles, but I'm lazy and didn't feel like typing it out... if you want to get technical on me, it is a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4...

now that we have that established, I was actually trying to just point out the price and mileage

Yeah, but driving it back down here would double the purchase price in fuel alone. Plus, I know you guys salt the roads like they're a large order of fries. I ddi think about Broncos, they're cheap, but I'm looking for something a tad smaller and less fuelish.

You're correct on all counts. I can get about 15 mpg on the highway, maybe 10 around town. And it is quite rusty.

My parents had a 78 Suburban with a 454. It got 14 mpg no matter what.

yes, the power wagons are big, but they can pull you jeep sideways, lol. The one has a hoist on the front end, think of the fun you can have with that

When I look at solutions, I look at all angles. I'd take a look at a Subaru Brat if the opportunity presented itself.

Yeah, but driving it back down here would double the purchase price in fuel alone. Plus, I know you guys salt the roads like they're a large order of fries.

I ddi think about Broncos, they're cheap, but I'm looking for something a tad smaller and less fuelish.

Toyota Land Cruiser...FJ6x (pre-1989) or FJ40 if you can find a cheap one...They run forever with little maintenance and have 4WD. Even high mileage would be OK for the type of use that you're talking about...

Land Cruisers bring silly money here. I've seen ones that look like they barely survived Taliban attacks bring a cool 6 grand. I don't get it, myself, but there you are.

Yoda pickups from the eighties are the same way.

We got one of the new Explorers a month or so before I left to come back over here. Our old Explorer was pushing 105k and we'd heard all kinds of stories about the tranny going at ~90k so we figured we'd replace it before I left so I wouldn't have to worry about any car problems while I was gone.

We ended up with a totally loaded Limited. The only option we didn't get was the Ecoboost engine. I'd read too many reviews that it wasn't enough power for the car and the difference in mileage wasn't worth the extra $1k. The inside looks like the space shuttle...not a button in sight and the only gauge is the speedometer. Everything in there is voice or touch screen controlled. The other nice thing about getting it just before I left is that, as much as it pained me to pay that much for a car, I'm making enough while I'm here that it should be ours free and clear by the time I get home.

(not ours but same thing)

FOREXPL7.JPG

Got the Catalina yesterday, what an ordeal.

Thing barely fit on my trailer. Got it up to its temporary resting place, and it was so heavy, the slight downward angle of the trailer was enough for it to crush the trailer jack (folded it over on itself). Got that out, put a jackstand under it, need to get a replacement jack.

Then, the stupid air ride compressor wouldn't kick on (probably a loose wire on the switch, or a blown fuse). So, I couldn't figure out how to roll the window up, because the car wouldn't raise high enough to clear the trailer fender when I opened the door. Ended up having to have junior crawl in, roll up the window, and pull her out through the half-glass in back, and will probably have to get a racing jack under half the car next week to get it high enough to open the door.

Off to a great start!

^some times kids come in handy. :)

I always pictured your jr as a boy... hmmmm, maybe I should pay more attention... have fun with it!

as i am emberassed to admit my wife has a prius (she bought it) but for fun we were putting our vehicles in Kelly Blue Book..

I also have a 2005 Dodge Durango, 5.0 L, V8, tow package, etc.. valued at $5000 on KBB

Her 2005 Toyota Prius 1.5L Engine, NO OPTIONS... $14,000 ????

I re ran it several times but shit!!! Only difference is my durango has 135K miles and she has 45K miles, but on a V8, thats not that many miles...

I dont know if it would sell for that but we are seriousl thinking about giving it a try!!!

want me to put that on the used car lot here? bet you could get more than listing it elsewhere...

I re ran it several times but shit!!! Only difference is my durango has 135K miles and she has 45K miles, but on a V8, thats not that many miles...

There is another difference.

One is a Dodge, the other is a Toyota. That right there explains some of the difference. Chrysler products have notoriously low resale value.

There is another difference.

One is a Dodge, the other is a Toyota. That right there explains some of the difference. Chrysler products have notoriously low resale value.

For good reason. And this is coming from a diehard Mopar fan that has had a 69 Charger and a 91 Shadow Turbo.

I'd love to pick up a used Charger, but the realist in me says, "You'll be sorry..."

I always pictured your jr as a boy... hmmmm, maybe I should pay more attention... have fun with it!

Definitely a she. And since this is the automotive thread, here she is at 3 (can't believe this was nearly three years ago already) sitting in the seat of a sportsman dragster.

Dragster.jpg

• Like 1

Brakes, Brakes, Brakes...

So I need new front brake pads on my 2005 Dodge Durango, and I really dont want to pay the $300 to the shop for $45 worth of parts..

I've been watching videos and reading alot about changing them yourself, and it almost looks to easy? Am I missing something?

Only thing that appears tricky is draining the brake fluid?

Mrs. RG says I should just pay the money, but I just cant stand to pay them fools anymore.... I mean I have a lot of respect for Automitive Mechanics, but lets face it, they probably are not engineers.... :D

Besides the basic hand tools, all you need for brake pad replacement are

• BIG ASS C-clamp (to force the pistons into the caliper)
  • wire (to keep caliper from hanging by brake line)
  • new pads

I've never had to drain brake fluid, but I have topped off after pad replacement. YMMV.

When you use the c clamp, be sure to use the OLD pad to transfer the load across the piston equally, you want to ensure that it goes in straight.

Pads are a sinch to change, I've never had to drain fluid or bleed the system (unless I changed the caliper).

You may end up pulling the hubs to get the rotors turned. Be sure to repack the bearings if you go this route. Pads alone are easy, getting rotors and bearings done can be tricky.

Edit - $300 isn't bad if it includes turning the rotors as well. Pads are cheap, its the other parts that get expensive quick.

Edited by blybrook PE

My $.02 on turning rotors - don't bother. Unless new rotors are astronomical in price, turned rotors have always caused more problems and warped faster to offset the cost savings any time I've ever used them.

When you use the c clamp, be sure to use the OLD pad to transfer the load across the piston equally, you want to ensure that it goes in straight.

To add to this, don't pull the caliper until the C-clamp is used to move the pads.

My $.02 on turning rotors - don't bother. Unless new rotors are astronomical in price, turned rotors have always caused more problems and warped faster to offset the cost savings any time I've ever used them.

seems on the new cars, there's not much to turn anyway. They thin them out for better heat dispersion so when its time to do brakes you might as well just install new rotors.

I've done it RG (well, with assistance), I'm sure you can handle it.

The pads are pretty easy. As others have said though, if you end up doing rotors, you're probably better off just replacing them rather than having them turned. They don't provide much extra metal these days.