The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

envirotex

Reaction score
So as to not continue to monopolize the Random Thoughts thread, I opened this thread for car talk...or what ever you have that has a motor.

Fire.jpg

1969 Plymouth Roadrunner clone. 318 engine. Have the 383 hood on it, may someday put one under it.

I hate cars.

Especially this one:

2010 Camaro SS/RS. 6.2L LS3 V8 with a 6spd manual transmission putting out 425hp at the crank. I made my own custom "Bumble Bee" with custom stripes, powdercoated rims, blacked out emblems (full chrome delete), tinted windows and custom painted bowties. For my birthday after I got the car, my wife even got me the mini disco ball and "Bee-otch" airfreshener to hang from the mirror. Mechanically, it's basically stock except for a cold-air intake, but I would like to replace the exhaust and get an ECU "tune" to try to get it closer to 450hp.

IMG_2381.jpg

A group pic of the club I'm in (mine is facing left at the top of the "O". (CCOTR = Camaro Club of the Rockies) Picture was taken at Bandemere Raceway on the west side of Denver (home of the Mopar Mile-High Nationals, for the drag racing fans out there).

CCOTRClubPics-1708.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
1996 Chevy Impala SS. Haven't had any money to throw at it in some time now. However, it currently sits with stock 350, 1.6 RR roller rockers with valve springs, CAI, Clear Image Tri-Y headers, Summit Turbo mufflers, a little bumpity-bump stereo, and 78k miles on the clock.

Do motorcycles count? ;-)

2006 gixxer sixxer. After-market Shogun crash kit, Puig fender eliminator and windshield mod, and Corbin seat. Mod to air intake and fuel injection system. 6-speed, constant mesh with a slipper clutch, 110HP at 13000 rpm. Anyone care to race? ;)

EDIT: added pic

img20120320170741.jpg

2006 gixxer sixxer. After-market Shogun crash kit, Puig fender eliminator and windshield mod, and Corbin seat. Mod to air intake and fuel injection system. 6-speed, constant mesh with a slipper clutch, 110HP at 13000 rpm. Anyone care to race? ;)
I would offer to race in the snow, but in that case we would both end up ditching our rides and just duking it out on foot...

Do I get to pick the start and end points?

Cessna177RGCardinal.jpg

I think this will be my one and only post here... but I don't think the engine in the cherokee will ever die. there we go. All I know is that it is an inline 6 and has nearly 200,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been on for a year, I'm leaking transmission fluid, driving on used tires, and still owe another 6 months of payments on it. I have a love hate relationship with that dang thing. It hates me, I hate it, but it loves me because I feed it, and I love it because it gets me places.

Those online 6's were a great engine, I think the reason they stopped making them was because they lasted too long!

I had 260K miles on one in my 94 jeep wrangler, everything else had died over the course of 18 years but the engine was going strong when I sold it 6 years ago....

On my current jeep I need to replace the fuel pump, would be easy but it's inside the gas tank, is there anything tricky about dropping the gas tank you think?

Probably the most difficult thing I have done myself was to change out an oil pan.. And that wasn't really difficult, just time consuming and a pain in the ass to be laying on your back under a car all day....

Test drove the Catalina last night. Shifted well, stopped (eventually), hell, even the speedo worked in the thing. Only issue is apparently the alternator wiring is hosed up (the alternator itself is new-ish). Not exactly quick by any means, but even that smogger 400 2bbl got the thing rolling at a reasonable pace. Picking it up on Saturday.

I think this will be my one and only post here... but I don't think the engine in the cherokee will ever die. there we go. All I know is that it is an inline 6 and has nearly 200,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been on for a year, I'm leaking transmission fluid, driving on used tires, and still owe another 6 months of payments on it. I have a love hate relationship with that dang thing. It hates me, I hate it, but it loves me because I feed it, and I love it because it gets me places.
Much like the old 225 Dodge slant 6 engines. The car would rot out before the engine died.

Much like the old 225 Dodge slant 6 engines. The car would rot out before the engine died.
The ole leaning tower of power.

I'm always kicking around the idea of a 'yard truck' for various and sundry dirty hauling jobs. I've been fixated on a stepside regular cab Ranger, but lately have been considering a Jeep Cherokee. They look like appealing vehicles. What are the best years/features to look for?

is there anything tricky about dropping the gas tank you think?
Don't use a lighter to try to see inside the tank. Seriously, people have done this.

I don't have any vehicles worth bragging about, although my driveway and garage are full now. . . 1996 Ford Bronco, 1997 Jeep Cherokee, 2006 Chevy Aveo, 1979 Yamaha XS750. . . four vehicles for one person is a bit much, especially considering I often ride my bicycle to work.

The ole leaning tower of power.

I'm always kicking around the idea of a 'yard truck' for various and sundry dirty hauling jobs. I've been fixated on a stepside regular cab Ranger, but lately have been considering a Jeep Cherokee. They look like appealing vehicles. What are the best years/features to look for?
I would personally like one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-1950-Dodge-Power-Wagon-/280878776222?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4165adff9e

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950-dodge-powerwagon-cummins-rat-rod-/320908562499?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ab7a41043

they can go just about anywhere and around the yard, you can't beat them

^'50s ex-military Power Wagons

Edit: Dex beat me to it.

Back