another low raise

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd3232

Reaction score
well gentlemen, i have a dillema, i received a low raise this year, just like any other year, 3%. My background, im an electrical engineer, 6 year experience, currently working in nuclear power industry. My expectation this year was different from other years because i passed PE last year and expected a bigger raise for that accomplishment. I dont know what to do now, im currently making what other electrical engineers make at my company with 4 year experience and no PE. Im thinking to look for opportunities outside my company. My question is what salary should i expect with 6 year electrical design experience and a PE? thanks!

It's been stated in other threads, but you need to keep in mind what you bring to the table for your employer. Just because you have a PE doesn't necessarily mean you are worth more to the position you currently have.

A good example of this was when I passed the PE. My role in the company did not change once I got the PE. In fact, my PE actually HURT the company because they had to add me to their liability insurance (increased overhead) and the contracts I was working on did not allow them to charge more for my services. I didn't get a raise until my role in the company changed (promoted to project manager), the company could bill their clients for more, and my overall value increased.

Sure you can get paid more by moving to another job, but you have to consider how the company can benefit from it. By changing jobs, you may get "promoted" into the role that would allow for a higher salary because the company won't be "locked-in" to a billing rate for your services.

It depends. That's, honestly, an unanswerable question as stated.

Do what I did when I had three straight years of 2 - 3% raises and felt undervalued. LEAVE! Looking back (a month's worth), it's probably the best career decision I have ever made.

Do you work for the utility, or an A/E?

While the PE is nice, really not used much in nuclear power. My current (until next Friday) firm only gives a spot bonus for that accomplishment.

Are you wanting to stick to nuclear power? Are you willing to relocate?

Depends on your interpretation of the 85%. But it really is up to you... choose wisely.

6923533979_318421c406_z.jpg

My question is what salary should i expect with 6 year electrical design experience and a PE? thanks!
It depends. Location matters. And do you want to stay in the nuke business? A/E's that do work for the utilities would value the PE, but if you work for the utility directly it won't be valued as much.

thanks for replies! i made a decision to leave the company and look for other opportunities, i will check back and update how it went, hopefully i will be back with good news!

Back