Switching from working on public works projects to civil oil and gas projects

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddierizzle

Reaction score
As the topic says, how many of you all have done it and what did you do to get your oil and gas employer to hire you especially if you have no previous oil and gas experience? Seems like it is pretty difficult.

What kind of public works projects have you worked on and in what capacity?

*Edit* The reason I ask is because you're not likely to find many people in your particular position. But those of us who've worked in the oil and gas industry might be able to give you an idea of what employers are looking for in a candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddierizzle posted a good question that I have been looking for an answer for also. In my case I have worked in numerous capacities (program manager, senior project manager, project controls manager, etc.) for large general contractors on complex design build projects ranging from major airport projects, food processing, and military to name just a few. My education includes a MBA and a B.S. in Mining Engineering. The experience I have includes sophisticated systems for these projects like fueling, controls, power plants, etc. So with a diverse background like this in EPCM on billion dollar plus projects how do you convince a potential employer that as an engineer with construction experience you have all the tools necessary to be qualified for an oil and gas/petrochemical/mining project since it is all about managing putting the pieces of the puzzle together with cost and time constraints?

There are a lot of engineering jobs in my neck of the woods for natural gas/shale fracking. Everything from FDR (full depth reclaimation) road design, E&S permitting, Well Permitting, hydro-geology, LD for well pad sites, etc. You don't necessarily need to have mining engineering experience to get in on the energy market.

Right now it pretty much takes a Civil PE, willing to move to the middle of nowhere and a pulse.

What kind of public works projects have you worked on and in what capacity?

*Edit* The reason I ask is because you're not likely to find many people in your particular position. But those of us who've worked in the oil and gas industry might be able to give you an idea of what employers are looking for in a candidate.
My experience mainly is utility design and lift station design as well as I have worked on a few industrial projects involving Stormwater mitigation or segregation.

Basically I'm almost 9 years into my career, but it will be like I'm starting over even though I have a PE to my name.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in the private energy sector and having worked in public works years ago, the differences are substantial. Everything is ratchetet up a notch. On the positive side, the pay is too. But I would say the knowledge base jump moving from public sector projects will require you to start just above entry level. On the positive side, it may still be an increase in pay.

Back