Too much studying?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dano_PE

Senior Engineer
Reaction score
How are you guys feeling? I am finding it difficult to stay focused.

Seems like my life has been studying for the past 5 months.

Still not 100% on everything but I don't think I ever will be 100% on all of the material.

Anyone else’s dishes stacking up in the sink like mine? I need another sink…..

I was in your shoes last October. I started about 5 months prior to the exam and reduced study time prior to the exam. It may do u some good to have more you time prior to exam day, you've built an arsenal for the war, now meditate before you unleash your engineering powers.

I was in your shoes last October. I started about 5 months prior to the exam and reduced study time prior to the exam. It may do u some good to have more you time prior to exam day, you've built an arsenal for the war, now meditate before you unleash your engineering powers.
lol! Love the quote Jacob. A lot of truth to that. Yeah, I'm with you Dano. The last few days I can feel my body starting to tire. My head wants to fall to the ground. I've been at it for about 5 months just like you. Took a week here and there off, but the last 1.5 months, or so, I've been pushing hard.

What's your strategy over the next 11 or so days?

• This week - Still study at 100% capacity. I plan to work the NCEES problems (versions 2001, 2008, 2011), finish reading Bob's Crane & Rigging Handbook (I'm a Construction Depth), review some Hydro.
  • Next week - Maybe 70% capacity. Close out on Ruwan, and probably rework the 2011 NCEES sample exam for the final, and 3rd - 4th time (lol) on Wednedsay April 11th. Do some dry runs to sort out the best way to carry and organize references during the exam. I'll have a strategy each for AM and PM. For example, I have many books for the PM not not needed for the AM, so they will be stowed away then.
  • Thursday, April 12 - visit exam site, check into hotel nearby, note time to and from, and add a FS for morning traffic (lol).
  • Starting Easter night, I plan to be in bed by 9:00 each night.

It's all about the 13th! I am very excited.

Jason

I am trying to study those categories that are not as likely to be on the exam or are less of a percent of the overall exam percent based on the syllabus; like timber, bolt testing etc. Also I am reworking problems I have completed in all reference books. When reworking these problems I am making sure I made a good path to get to the source data or code that the solution is based on.

I have created my own index with an excel spreadsheet that indexes every practice problem I have done, where it is and what the subject matter is. This way if I have to refer to a particular type of problem I will be able to get to it fast. I am also comparing similar practice problems to each other and trying to see if it is possible to solve problem A exactly like problem B. It is surprising how many paths lead to the same solution and most times it is the same equation shown in a different way.

Other than that I am pretty nervous.

Good move getting the NCEES 2001 book. I did not think of that far back.

What did you study on Progressive collapse, cofferdams and quality control process (QA/QC)? These seem have limited material. Found about a total of one webpage on progressive collapse. Basically means everything comes down fast. How could there be a question on that?

Don't forget a wrist watch!! I forgot mine on the FE!!

Take a timed practice exam to see what area's you are struggling with. Start getting familiar with having time limitations (if you aren't already). Study wiser not harder, focus on the area's you're weaker in that take up larger portions of the exam.

Do you have the old NCEES practice test? Highly recommended!

I purchased the NCEES 2011 and 2008 practice exams. I did not get the 2004.

Should get the 2004 this late in the game as a practice test? Does it include construction problems or was this before they created the construction mode for PM.

I am definitely studied out too. After 5 months of studying I don't even want to look at my CERM. I feel like am well prepared some days and otherdays I feel like I haven't even brushed the surface of what is going to be on the exam. The study references I have been using vary so much in difficulty that it makes me weary of what to expect on the exam.

At this point, I am just trying to keep everything fresh in my mind. Do various practice problems to remind my mind of where all those tables, charts, and equations are from the last few months. Then I am going into the exam with a "the sun will still rise tomorrow" attitude. If I pass, I pass, If I fail, then October here I come.

At this point, I am just trying to keep everything fresh in my mind. Do various practice problems to remind my mind of where all those tables, charts, and equations are from the last few months. Then I am going into the exam with a "the sun will still rise tomorrow" attitude. If I pass, I pass, If I fail, then October here I come.
TAB EVERYTHING! I spent the day before the exam making sure all my books were tabbed. Even the index at the back. This way if the location of a subject didn't jump out I could quickly access the list of subjects and find it.

Now is a good time to think about where you will look to find specific information. each reference has its strong and weak points so pick a problem at random and then go the the reference you think will be best, no need to work the problems just know where to look. You will also notice that some of the references are pretty strong on tables (Rigging Guide, Timber) can you take information from the test and find the right table?? Very important, make sure you know how the tables are organized and what information is given.

cbrunsti I could not agree more with YOUR quote: "I feel like am well prepared some days and otherdays I feel like I haven't even brushed the surface of what is going to be on the exam."

I feel the exact same way. And we have both studied plenty it seems.

Nice to hear that. It really is!!

Sometimes you think you have a category down pat and then you try a new sample problem and you get frustrated thinking I know this why am I not getting it correct.

The Const. reference I worry most about is the NDS. Three thick manuals in the set, and although I have plently of references I cannot find one problem that refers to it. I perused the manuals, tabbed up what I though would be relevant.... but who's to say?

Starting to study this weekend. I will tab a few references and call it good.

QC/QA problems are likely to be ACI 318 concrete cylinder questions. Check out chapter five of 318.

Thanks sledge. I will do that. I have the ACI, ASCE and MUTCD standards and am familair with them but have not read them cover to cover. I have reviewed ACI the lease because a lot of my study books have the formwork equations etc.

Reading through earlier threads it seems like a long time ago. The wait took too long (7 weeks to the day), but it was worth it. Nice to be a PE isn't it?

Take a timed practice exam to see what area's you are struggling with. Start getting familiar with having time limitations (if you aren't already). Study wiser not harder, focus on the area's you're weaker in that take up larger portions of the exam.

Do you have the old NCEES practice test? Highly recommended!
Good luck on the exam guys! Study smart, study hard...and if you haven't started yet, dig in.

Remember, you can and will beat the odds if you study hard with the right tools!

Time yourself, take practice tests, identify your weak areas, know the most likely problem topics.

Best,

passthecivilPE

www.passthecivilPE.com - Special Discount NOW on the new passthecivilPE Guide Book

Back