Shoring and Reshoring

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dano_PE

Senior Engineer
Reaction score
Has anyone work through the Ruwan R practice problem question SR 10 on page 135 regarding shoring and reshoring?

I understand 99% of the technique but am confused when to add construction load to a slab that has reshores under it. See below.

In part 6 of the problem:

Slab 3 = 0 (wet)

Reshores 3 = 0 (Snug fit)

Slab 2 = 1.0 D (Self weight) Why does this not contain the 0.4 Construction load and form load of 0.1 (like in part 7 of this problem)?

Reshores 2 = 0 (snug fit)

Slab 1 = 1.0 D (self supporting with no shores or reshores)

I am unsure when to add the forms (dead load) and construction load to a slab with reshores under it(like they do in part 7). Does anyone know how ncees would format their solution for this type problem?

Its tough with some of these topics because you get 99% of the content and technique but are hung up on that 1% issue and are afraid it will get you hung up on the exam. Help would be a life saver. Thanks everyone.

the const. load is added when the shores, forms & concreteing is taking place.

why does part 6 not add the construction load then? The problem seems inconsistant. That is my issue I guess.

Dano, It probably doesn't matter to you anymore, since the test is over and I am sure you figured this one out on your own. But just to close the loop for this comment in case someone else was wondering the same thing. In Part 6 of this problem, Slab 3 is not "wet", it is assuming that all formwork and concrete construction load had been removed for all slabs. That step was just trying to show you what the transfer of loads are when you remove reshoring from slab 1 and re-install reshoring on slab 3.

So you just add the construction load to the slabs that still have the construction loads and form work on them. Most of the time for these problems it is only when the concrete is curing. But if it is assumed that there could be construction operations happening on the lower levels, then you should add a live load there too.

Back