Job seekers asked for Facebook passwords

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
SEATTLE — When Justin Bassett interviewed for a new job, he expected the usual questions about experience and references. So he was astonished when the interviewer asked for something else: his Facebook username and password.

Bassett, a New York City statistician, had just finished answering a few character questions when the interviewer turned to her computer to search for his Facebook page. But she couldn’t see his private profile. She turned back and asked him to hand over his login information.

Bassett refused and withdrew his application, saying he didn’t want to work for a company that would seek such personal information. But as the job market steadily improves, other job candidates are confronting the same question from prospective employers, and some of them cannot afford to say no.

More at:

http://www.thestate....r-facebook.html

I dn't have FB, and never intend to, but I don't think I'd want to work somewhere where they even asked about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess companies would rather invade privacy instead of following the older practice of confidentiality agreements...

I don't have any incriminating pictures on my Facebook page, and I very rarely use it for anything. The only reason I have one is because some games that I play on the iPad are linked to FB accounts, and it comes in handy to reconnect with old friends sometimes. Even given the fact that it wouldn't hurt me to allow a potential employer to view my FB page, I would not, under any circumstances, give them my login information. I would handle it exactly like the person in the original article...if they require that information, then I withdraw my application.

This is interesting....employers are looking because it's there. However, how many employers would have followed you to the bar back in the day? Definitely a different game than before, but crazy how much they are looking into someone's personal life.

What's next, Prima Nocta?

I'd say: "No thanks, Longshanks."

Longshanks_picnik.jpg

I got faceplace still. Never use it, but I can make contact with family and friends if I needed to. Think I'll just kill off all of my photo albums even though no one can access them.

Facebook has an option to disable public searches from finding you. If you have done this, you can simply deny having a FB page and they can't prove it otherwise.

Using the drop down arrow on the top right, select "Privacy Settings". Then click the "Edit Settings" button for Apps & Websites. At the bottom of that page it allows you to edit your settings for Public Searches.

I would have done the same as that interviewee, I'd say THIS PLACE IS NOT FOR ME, HAVE A GREAT DAY, and just walk out.

What if they offered a lemonparty with tubgirl?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back