NCEES Morning Problem 108

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone please explain the solution for this problem as I don't have the referenced text. I will not be taking the Construction Depth but would still like to understand this type of problem if faced in the morning section.

Thanks!

solve this as a statics problem with the info provided....you don't need the reference for this question in the morning exam.

if this was an afternoon problem, you would have to use the ACI minimum load of 100 lb/ft or 15 psf if the wind pressure and brace spacing were not known.

Would you explain the terms in the moment equation Ma for the wall force? 160 lb/ft is the weight; 16 ft/2 is the moment arm distance from a; what is the 16 ft height in there again for? (160 lb/ft x 16 ft x 16 ft/2) per the solution.

I dont think that 160 plf is a weight. It is the wind force per foot on the wall form (20 psf x 8 ft brace spacing). the height of the form is 16'. the resultant of the wind is (160 x 16) acting at 16/2 in the horizontal direction.

Solve it like you would solve a cantilvered beam with a support mid point. Turn the page sideways. It helped me!

I didnt get that one on the first try either. Keep at it!!!

Back