Why do you need to come to this board?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3gorgesdam

Congratulations to all that passed and don't give up those who failed. I personally feel grateful that this board helped me great deal in preparing and passing the PE exam in my first attempt. What I gained the most is the morale boost. I can relate each post to my personal effort each day all the way till the exam day. The atmosphere such as the count down to the date of the exam helps me focus. To be able to ask questions and get feedback quickly made me realize that I was not alone in this and my problems were not unique. Many are experts in their fields, one can learn a lot from another. For example, GTScott, he is such a guru in GEOtech, his posts on systematically solving different type of problems are valuable. I printed them out and put in my study binder. There are environmental, water resource, transportation and structure experts on this board, I got plenty help from you. Thank you very much. For those who is preparing for the next time around, I want to say to me this board is better than a review class. I didn't go to any review class, with a two and half year old boy and being a full time working mom, no time for it. What I did right is I made this board a favorite hangout.

I took Structural Module in the afternoon. :true: : USA :

This board was created a couple days after the April exam, which I took.

So, it didn't help me pass, but made the wait a little easier.

I wish this place was around when I was studying. I really felt alone during my preparation. I've been out of school several years, live in a rural area, and work at a small office. So I didn't even know anyone else preparing for the exam, much less a study buddy.

My boss took the exam so long ago that any advice he had would be outdated. Most of my friends are engineers, but they're all academics so that didn't help me much either.

So I wish the board was created 6 months earlier. But I like to answer questions for those studying, because it helps keep me sharp.

I was DEVASTATED after failing the exam the first time, then I found this group, and realized that I was not alone. I can honestly say that I probably would have given up had I not found this group, and it would certainly be easy after the latest failure, but I haven't even thought about it, I've just started studying again (Geotechnical at least)......and looking for a way to get this behind me in Oct! :beerchug

I didn't find this board until after the October 2006 exam, and of course have been frequenting it mostly for the purpose of passing the time. I hung around on "the other board" while I was studying before the exam, and didn't find it terribly useful. I was studying all alone :whatever: and was hoping for at least some company, which I did find there to some extent. I also got crap from posters there who were beyond useless to the point of being totally non-sympathetic to people having a hard time studying and preparing for the exam. :die:

This board is by far more real and more lively, and I wish I had found it back then. (I haven't posted on "the other board" since I joined here - just nothing of interest happening over there).

I hope I pass, but whether I do or not I'll keep hanging around because I like the people here, and I'd love to be able to keep my skills sharp by helping out other people studying for the Env. exam, or the Civ. Env/WR problems.

Dleg, you still don't know your result yet? What state are you in? I hope you pass.

Dleg isn't really in a state of sorts. LOL

Dleg, I agree with your statements on the attitudes and practices of certain posters on the "other board", and it is the reason RoadGuy said this one needed started. A handful of us agreed and came over with him. We all think that being more personal, and knowing the members is what curbs that kind of rudeness and being totally non-sympathetic.

It's hard to 'mouth off' or mess with someone you feel like you know.

make any sense?

It's not perfect here, but it's nice. I still go to PPI every few days to see what's going on as well. I think they have good materials, just a poor forum. Of course, something spurred them to make it a better format.

Wonder what that was?

3gorgesdam: I'm in the Northern Mariana Islands, which is a US "commonwealth" that's a lot closer to China than it is to the US. Geographically speaking, that is. And maybe in certain other ways. I am the only applicant of any sort this time around, so they required me to take the exam in Guam, and apparently our board is waiting on the Guam board to release my results, and then of course I will have to wait for my board again. :wait

DVINNY - The "the other board" forum still looks the same to me. Did they change it after the April exam or something? I never checked it out until maybe July or so, so it still looks the same to me. Either way, it's still a crappy format and nowhere near what one would expect of a "forum" in this day and age. EB.com is definitely one of the best in that respect - please keep up the good work.

3gorgesdam - Congrats on passing!! :beerchug

I'm going to take the CE PE in April and will be doing the Structural PM module... do you have any advice or words of wisdom about preparing for the Structural PM?

DVINNY - The PPI forum still looks the same to me. Did they change it after the April exam or something?
Yes they changed it to what it is now. It used to just be a list of threads on a page

3gorgesdam - Congrats on passing!! :beerchug
I'm going to take the CE PE in April and will be doing the Structural PM module... do you have any advice or words of wisdom about preparing for the Structural PM?
Thanks ce_cat. There are not too many taking Structure PM module. I would be happy to share my experience. I will spend sometime organizing my thoughts together and post it later.

Just curious, what do you do? A design engineer?

Hi 3gorgesdam - thanks for your reply and help. I appreciate it very much! I worked for a structural engineer my first two years out of college - mostly doing residential structural analysis and design. Then I went to work for another firm doing software testing (hydraulic anaysis software for process piping systems). So I'm a little rusty in the structures area, but I took most of my college electives in structures and I enjoyed that field a lot, so I think that is the area I will be most comfortable in for the test.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Back