What I did Wrong in Exam Preparation ...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Many people are going to read the title and think I have lost my mind for posting such a thing. :wacko: Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I think it may help many people who are struggling with how to move forward after receiving notice of not passing the exam.

I have read many, many good posts with lots of useful information. I honestly don't think I can add much value to all of the excellent insights of so many people. However, I think that one can learn just as much, if not more, from failures than successes. So, I present to everyone, the list of things I did wrong when I received my first notice that I had not passed the Civil PE Exam:

1. I Scored 69 - I only need one more point to pass.

I think NCEES is actually doing examinees a favor by not reporting passing scores. When I saw I scored 69, my thought was man missed it by one point. I will study a little more and I should rock the next exam. Arrogance mixed with false security led me down the path to many more repeat marginal performances. I just should have locked it down by opening the books back up and studying as if I had never prepared in the first place.

2. I do not need to prepare for Breadth subjects like Transporation and Structural because I didn't do that in school - my strengths in the other areas will carry over.

Well that was hopeful thinking at best. Taking the time to address the so-called low-hanging fruit based on the NCEES Breadth specification breakdown, I was able to spend some time learning/re-familiarizing myself with topics like horizontal/vertical curves, simple mechanics, shear-moment diagrams, etc. It really didn't take a long time to review those areas and it provided a break in what was an otherwise gruelling review schedule for Env/WR/Geo.

3. I should take the Environmental Depth section because my education and experience are in this area.

This was probably the biggest shocker for me. It took me a long time and an honest look at my performance to realize - yeah you have a BS in Env Eng but you simply don't 'do' wastewater treatment work. When 7-9 of the afternoon problems (~ 25%) cover this subject and you are consistently screwing it up -- wake up call !!!

I had to take a serious look at my breakdowns and figure out where my real strength lied - it turned out to be Water Resources. I reset my study schedule to prepare to take the WR Depth module.

4. I just need to look over materials that I know (Env, WR, Geo) and just cover the few things I don't think I know.

I didn't bother to sit down and develop a REALISTIC schedule for myself when I knew I needed to prepare for retaking the exam. This left me without structure or a goal. It also left me without incentive to SERIOUSLY commit to a schedule or study regime. My half-ass preparation yielded ... half-ass results.

My biggest note to anyone retaking an exam: COMMIT yourself to the preparation. It is an onerous task - why beat yourself up and those around you more than necessary. Having said that I do not believe you need to study 500+ hours to yield positive results. I think each person needs to work out a realistic schedule that fits thier needs and comfort level.

5. I can pile a load of references and materials into a bin for quick reference during the exam.

This was probably my biggest exam-taking misconception. I was actually overwhelmed by all of the material I had accumulated. It wasn't until I spent time re-organizing my material based on what I studied and how it made sense to me that I was able to trim down the references AND put together a quick-reference sheet for each subject area. I was able to solve problems much more efficiently in this manner.

I hope those who find themselves retaking the exam can find something in what I have posted even if it does not directly apply to your situation. The members of this board have demonstrated that they are knowledgable and helpful - kudos to the EB.com group. :+1: It took me four times to get it right - but I got there. I think anyone else can do the same with some 'tweaks' in thier approach.

Best of luck in your preparation !!

Regards,

JR

That was Super JR. If you don't mind, my friend, I will add something about the diagnostic sheet they send. I made a mistake of not reviewing simple topics, like Basic Circuits, because I did "good". I forget about that and focused in my weak areas. Guess what: I improve something in my weak areas but blew Basic Circuits. I did not believe it but it was in black and white on my diagnostic. That was a difference in my second try. I just fumbled that part. :brick:

Bottom line: Focus on your weak areas but do not let your guard down with the ones you were good.

Also, about the references, they are as good as the familarity you have with them. Too many references might cause you to waste time if you don't know the books well.

Sorry about :jacked: JR.

Back