Illinois Experience Verification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayjackson

Reaction score
I am new to the site as I just made a full 4 years of experience last September. I have registered to take the PE exam this April, and I have applied to the Illinois department of financial and professional regulations in an effort to officially get licensed assuming I pass the test. My concern is that I received a letter back from IDFPR stating that my 4 years of experience was not acceptable because the PE who filled out my verification of employment is only registered in California, not Illinois.

I discussed this with Mr. David Brim today, who had sent me my letter, and he was adamant that for my 4 years of experience to qualify I had to have been supervised by a PE licensed in the state I was working.

I have not seen this stated in any of the IL acts, rules, regulations, or anywhere on the application. None of the Professional engineers I work with, registered in other states, have ever heard of such a thing.

Anyone have any insight?

its there, just not in the quoted section

from the eng rules

Experience shall be under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer or a person legally practicing engineering pursuant to Section 3 of the Act who verifies the number of years during which the applicant was doing work at a professional level, and the manner in which the work prepares the applicant for licensure as a professional engineer.

From the Eng Act sect 4(m) "Professional engineer" means a person licensed under the laws of the State of Illinois to practice professional engineering.

You and your boss both work in Illinois and your boss is only licensed in California?

Snickerd3 thanks, I can understand at least now how they can claim such requirements. I had read thru the professional engineers act and the rules and regulations several times and hadn't put that together.

Is it an unusual requirement to have to gain your 4 years of experience by working under a PE licensed in the state you are working? None of the PEs I work with had heard of such a thing. I know a colleague of mine recently got licensed in KY with the same experience situation I am in.

I do have a PE licensed in Missouri that I have been working for over the last 4 years as well.

My next thought will be if I sit for the test in IL seeing that I am already approved to do so, assuming I pass, would other state boards accept that or would I have to re-take the test in that state?

That will vary by the state. IL is one of the few that lets you take the exam before the board has approved experience.

I got my Kentucky license through reciprocity after getting licensed in Illinois after taking my exam prior to meeting the experience requirement.

If you test in Illinois I would imagine you would have to get your Illinois license first.

wow...and i really thought IL was one of the easier states to get approved for the test. I only had to submit one reference since I only had one job since graduation, not 5 references some for work others for just references like other states. I guess I just got lucky that everythng worked out so nicely and my that boss was also a PE in IL...it never occured to me at the time that there woucld be issues.

Back