You think PPI (that other board)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tmckeon_PE

Wait till you see what is waiting at NSPE, ASCE, ASME, others, insurance, and more. These @#$@# are really serious about taking our money. Forget about being on a level with lawyers and doctors (they might have the money to shell out).

Posts on this topic are welcome, but posts that help find good insurance and good prices on other things are much more welcome.

National Society of Professional Engineers should read "I want your money and you can be a member" society. Really pissed about that one.

'.02'

:bad: :"the other board" mole: :bad: :ZZZ: :kick:

Last edited:
Since most "companies" pay those fees for the employee, it hasn't been an issue to the individual, so no complaining.

However, I'm not sure how gov'ment agencies handle it. Do they pay fees for employees?

However, I'm not sure how gov'ment agencies handle it.  Do they pay fees for employees?
My understanding is that govt employees have 'immunity' form errors and omissions liability. I have served as an expert witness in court twice for the state - it was never an issue. :true:

I would be intereted in hearing someone's perspective/insight.

JR

I was talking about the membership fees to NSPE, or ASCE, etc.

You make a good point about the errors and omissions liability

Membership to professional societies are regarded favorably during performance evaluations, but not paid for.

yeah $220 for NSPE is kind of steep if your company isnt paying for it.

There are only so many associations you can join and reasonably be active in.

For me its

ASHE, ITE, ACEC,

I dont even bother with our local ASCE meetings, they are completely boring.

I am going to pass on NSPE.

I looked into joining NSPE, but the membership price is steep and there is no local presence here. I'd be an "at-large" member. My boss discouraged me from joining.

I'm in VT ASCE, but also have nearly no involvement in it, because almost all the meetings are by Burlington, which is 100 miles away.

My company covers the cost of ASCE membership but wont cover my AICHE membership. They get a group rate for civil's but since Im the only chemical engineer in the company they wont cough up the money at the single person rate.

^^^ I wonder what they'd say if you expense reported some Maple Porter ingredients?

:blink:

BTW, the Got-My-Results Maple Porter (Southern Fried Edition) is in the bottle. Mmmmm, Beeeeeeeer. :beerchug

They're talking about covering a day laborer, whom they've hired to carry their PE seals around for them, with various different maple flavored substances.

I did the local NSPE (via the LES, Louisiana Engineering Society). The price was steep ($150 per year, I think) and I paid it myself. I'm not sure its worth it. I've been in for just over a year and so far, we do dinner meetiinngs on very sporadic occasions (maybe several per year), in which we essentially listen to a speaker, pay $25 to $40 or so for dinner and end up getting continuing education credits. In addition, I helped out at the local "Mathcounts" competition for school kids.

So far, other than feeling good about helping with Mathcounts and gettting CE credits, its not really been worth it. I'm not sure I get it.

Ed

Since most "companies" pay those fees for the employee, it hasn't been an issue to the individual, so no complaining.
However, I'm not sure how gov'ment agencies handle it. Do they pay fees for employees?

The Federal Gov't. will usually pay professional society dues -- it ultimately depends on whether the boss will approve the employee's request.

Back