WHAT DID YOU DO RIGHT?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARJ

Reaction score
I was wondering if a new thread could be created for those who have just passed the PE exam. Purpose? To share wisdom with these new PE's regarding what they should do next.

Such as:

(1) Where to get their stamps. And rules to be aware of when ordering their stamps.

(2) Now that you are a PE, do you need insurance? If so what type? Where could one go for more information on this subject?

I'm sure that there are many other areas of interest that could be listed. But you get the point. Everyone could benefit from experienced PE's as well as new PE's who have already done extensive research in various areas. I would think a pool of knowledge is this area would certainly be appreciated by all.

If there is already a thread such as this, I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered from engineerseals.com yesterday at 11:51 a.m., and received my seal via UPS today at 2 p.m.

Stamping my state form now, and getting the record photo done later today.

I'm trying to figure out how long it will be before Florida will assign the numbers so we can order the seals. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out how long it will be before Florida will assign the numbers so we can order the seals.  Any help would be appreciated.
I have been told by previous test takers not to expect anything before first week of February. :hung:

JR

I downloaded the entire list and there were a lot of 1/24/2006 and 2/6/2006 licensees.

Last number on download was 64481, but the real last number is 64489.

I recently passed PE

Once I register from my state, what is the process to register in different states.

Regards,

VAK

I downloaded the entire list and there were a lot of 1/24/2006 and 2/6/2006 licensees.
Last number on download was 64481, but the real last number is 64489.
We could try and guess our #'s. B)

I recently passed PE Once I register from my state, what is the process to register in different states.

Regards,

VAK
1)By comity--which I believe is repeating the same initial P.E. application process again.

2) through NCESS (which from my understanding is the faster of the two processes).

I'll leave it to some one else to post the details since I have never actually done either. I am still waiting on my P.E. results.

I recently passed PE Once I register from my state, what is the process to register in different states.

Regards,

VAK
I've been looking into that also. I just passed my PE too and am now registered in AZ. I need NV also. I just found their board's website and went from there. NCEES has a listing of the websites for all the different state boards.

I was thinking about opening a NCEES record to make this easier, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Any opinions?

We could try and guess our #'s.  B)
That reminds me of a joke ....

A young engineer took a blind date to an amusement park. They first went for a ride on the Ferris wheel, but that seemed to bore his date.

"What would you like to do next?" he asked.

"I wanna be weighed," she said. So the young engineer thinking she had a thing for games of mystery took her over to the weight guesser. "One-twelve," said the man at the scale, and he was absolutely right.

The young engineer then took her for a ride on the roller coaster. He bought her some popcorn and cotton candy afterwards, but she still seemed to be bored. He asked her what else she would like to do.

"I wanna be weighed," she said.

Well, thought the young engineer, I really latched onto a square one tonight. He then came up with the idea and told his date that he had developed a headached and took her home.

The girl's roomate laura was surprised to see her home so early from her date, and asked, "What's wrong, dear, didn't you have a nice time tonight?"

"Oh, Waura, it was wousy," said the girl.

JR

I currently hold an NCEES record. It's quite nice for getting other seals via comity.

Basically, the NCEES holds your exam(s) that you have passed as well as both your FULL work history and references. It won't automatically give you another state via comity, but it will cut down the time it would normally take in order to get it.

If you can get your work to pay for it though, you've got it made!!

kevo 55 or any who are knowledgeable in this area,

Do you know anything about the type of insurance that a P.E. needs and where one could go to get it?

Here's a question. If I use my shiny new PE stamp to stamp a document, must I sign across the seal? The rules of my board do not specify. I notice that typically when I see a stamped document, it is signed across the image. Why is this? Can the signature appear below the stamp?

Search on comity and reciprocity. You will find the info.

Signing and sealing don't need to be done on top of one another.

Last edited:
kevo 55 or any who are knowledgeable in this area,
Do you know anything about the type of insurance that a P.E. needs and where one could go to get it?
ARJ,

I do know that you need errors and omissions insurance and there are a few places around to get it. I believe that there was a full page showing of all the majoy insurance companies who offer this in the most this months NSPE magazine.

Honestly though, my company has a blanket plan so I don't need to do anything with this.

I hope this helps!

This works.

I used the $10 stands for my books (from Office Depot) during study and during the exam.

Bought all of the 6 min solutions and read them and studied them all.

Studied the WR 6 min solutions till my eyes hurt.

Read during moments of slow times (often that happened in bathroom times...read the CERM or 6 min solutions instead of the other drivel that is available).

Keep something in front of you (study material) all the time that you can.

Bring a timer or watch to keep proper cadence to your test taking.

Test yourself regularly on how quickly you can answer questions from the 6 min solutions.

I also had the "flash cards" from the other site and had my wife ask me a few to see how quickly I could understand and respond to items on those cards (she was clueless on what I was saying, but I could tell myself whether I understood or not).

I organized and sorted the 6 min solutions and printed out the severally different sorted lists to aid in finding "that problem". Ended up helping more in that I learned more about how to solve problems quickly.

Enjoy the night before, but don't stay up too late. Stress and the like are more likely to hurt you the day of the test. However, a hangover or sleepiness are bound to hurt more.

Do something kind and thank God that you are where you are. Humbleness in spirit works wonders.

When you are done, be thankful that you have been given this opportunity.

When you have passed, do your job well and help others to do the same. I hope I am doing that right now.

Thomas P. McKeon, PE

:true:

What worked for me was actually doing the problems and working them out. Don't just look at it and say you can do it (unless you run out of study time) but practice going through the units conversions.

Read through the CERM.

I passed by really really familiarizing myself with the CERM. The best way to do this is to actually work problem after problem from "Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam". I think I worked every one of the Civil questions and also did every practice problem in the CERM. If you dont know the CERM and every other important reference book that you will need after this something is wrong.

Make tabs along the way and take notes of important problem solving strategy from each section for certain types of problems. Its easy to work a problem and move on and in several weeks when you go back to review you wont have a clue trust me.

Work the practice tests by the ncees.

I also used a couple text books from college. I disliked the geometric design formulas in the CERM for example so I used my text book instead. Its also nice to find a definition in your text books during the exam that the CERM doesnt cover.

Dont stress out!!!!!! Take the test one question at a time and if you get stumped move on and come back to it later. Time is precious.

Good LUck!!

Joseph A Freeman, PE

Back