FYI Civil - Transportation. Study Schedule

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miloc

Project Engineer
Reaction score
Guys, only 9 weeks left before D day (April Friday the 13th).

Second time I'll take the exam. This time I'm planning my study session a bit better. Good thing that I can schedule a 3 day weekend and planning to study at the Columbia U library from 9am to 7pm, if anyone is around let me know.

I am attaching my schedule.

btw, my score last October was 54/80.

Good luck everybody!

PE Study Gantt Chart.pdf

Attachments

• PE Study Gantt Chart.pdf
    332 KB · Views: 181
It looks as though you're trying to cover everything again? Since this is your second time and you were so incredibly close last time, perhaps start with (or at least dedicate the most time to) the areas where your diagnostic was low? And put secondary emphasis on areas where you did well. Good luck!

miloc- Thanks for posting your Gantt Chart - I love it!

Its tough going back and covering everything, but if you have the time then I think its well worth it. I also failed w/a 54/80 and this time 'round I am spending A LOT more time studying and really going back to the fundamentals.

:) Good luck!

Count me in as another one that just missed it by 1 and is going through everything. Not going to take anything for granted.

As a first time failed also, I can tell you that on my second (& successful) attempt, the areas that I did well on the first time were completely different than what i saw the first time around. I think that's one reason the repeat takers percent passing is so low, is that a lot of them don't re study the areas they did well on the previous time....

So as much as it sucks you really need to make sure you cover those subjects also cause they define will not be the same the second and third go around...

Good luck peeps!

Thanks Road-Guy, that's a very good advice..... not taking anything for granted.

Guys, I did notice that there's a lot of material to prepare for the morning part, which I kind of nailed the first time I took the exam last October 2011. Now that I am studying again..... I got the ncees sample questions, lindeburg's sample questions, 6-min solutions, linderburg's depth book, but...... only a few of those questions seems to be similar to the questions i encounter during the afternoon exam, is there any other source of info?

Miloc, Those books should be all you need to prepare. I bought the Lindburg sample questions and barely touched it as the 6MS was a good test of knowledge. Personally, I found that doing all 100 problems in 6MS for Transpo prepared me quite well for the test. I started by doing all 100, then went back and studied all of the morning stuff again, then got all 100 Transpo questions for a second time. I wrapped everything up with the NCEES Sample Exam as a confidence booster the week before the test. Good Luck!

I wasn't suggesting that anyone who failed the first time (as did I) not even look at the material in subjects they did well in but, because you've already studied before, make sure you use study time management appropriately. How many times do we get to the week before the exam and think to ourselves about all the material/topics we would have liked to get to but now won’t have time? miloc’s schedule appeared to be that of somebody who is taking the exam for the first time and has not studied before. I was suggesting that he consider tweaking the schedule given that he has studied already (and did well in several areas). If you did well in a given topic before, there’s a good chance you can do well in that topic again with minimal studying but if you did poorly in a given topic before, you’ll doubtfully do any better this time without additional study, right? All I am saying is, since you probably won’t have time to get to it all, use your diagnostic report and time management to layout your study schedule. Spend less study time on topics you understood well the first time and spend extra study time on topics you missed. Good luck.

The first time I took it (and failed) I really tried to study all of the information. I got into the test and realized that not much of the stuff I studied was on the test. The second go round I focused on working problems. I got a hold of as many as I could find and ended up passing. This was the same case for the FE.

Well I studied through most of the topics and now I'm down to transportation. My plan is to keep on studying for Transportation because that is my PM and during the last weekend before the test, start on a general overview. I figured out a lot of little things that I did wrong the first time around and have a better understanding. My problem was with the AM and now I realized some of the silly mistakes I made. I really hope I pass it. I have put in too much time and effort not too.

Back